Thread: Let's talk rods

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let's talk rods

Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    One word - Veritas.
    Second that!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. I have a B&R, action is too light I use what they call a worm rod for spinnerbaits. I also have a Temple Fork Outfitters flipping stick by G. Loomi. I'm not wild about the handle and mine is heavy. I love my Bronzeback too but Loomis doesn't make what I want. No, I won't be confused, I think after 50 yrs. of fishin I will be able to decide. I had it boiled down to a Cara, a Cashion or another H&H but since so many of you like the Cumara I may look at them again. I picked one up but I didn't like the balance. They all feel different when you put the reel on. So by popular demand I will look at them again. Thanks for all of your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    They're having a blowout on Shimano Cumaras right now....Can't beat them at all for the money they're being sold for...I'd suggest the 7'2MH F or XF for throwing jigs and worms....I have almost all Cumaras and love them...I've used nearly all brands with the exception of Loomis, and I'm yet to feel anything better...The new Crucials are very similiar and feel nice to, but for the money I'd go with the Cumara....Not to mention you can't beat their over the counter warranty
    Where's this blow-out? Looking for one right now in fact

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    I would check out the Dobyns rods. I love them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    tacklewarehouse.com did have them on sale. great price too

Post Thanks / Like

all I have are AIRRUS RODS and the meet my requirements for all types of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a new Shimano Compre Rod with split foam handle and love it...$100 rod...which is the price range I tend to stay in on rods. I put a new Curado on it and it's a sweet little combo.I have 3 of the Compre casting rods and a Compre spinning rod...like them all for that price range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    I just bought a new Shimano Compre Rod with split foam handle and love it...$100 rod...which is the price range I tend to stay in on rods. I put a new Curado on it and it's a sweet little combo.I have 3 of the Compre casting rods and a Compre spinning rod...like them all for that price range.
    I just got a Shimano Crucial for $80. I looked at the Compre and could not tell enough difference in the the 2 to pay the $20 difference, plus the Crucial as the same life time over the counter exchange as more expensive rods. Now im looking for a decent reel to put on it. I have a pro qualifier on it and it is fine, but would like to upgrade a little, mabe a Citica or Curado, or even a Lews Speed Spool I have heard good things about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Veritas.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my rod philosophy. The high dollar rods are definitely more sensitive. What is the purpose of sensitivity? It gives us a better feel with drop baits. So for jigs/worms etc I buy the lighest most sensitive rod I can find which nornally translates more expensive. But how important is sensitivity when fishing moving baits? I say not at all. A rod such as a composite rod with a slow parabolic bend is better for fishing crankbaits (see KVD). The same is true for spinnerbaits. A soft light rod is better for jerkbaits on and on. I have a topwater rod I paid $29 for (if anyone has an old 6ft BPS tourney special with a sponge pistol grip I would love to buy it). Consequently I don't believe a high dollar rod is neccesary for moving baits. That is a waste of money that could be spent on a better worm rod. Get a rod that feels comfortable to you. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Just have a custom made the way you like it. You're top three blanks will be North Fork Composites (Gary Loomis company), St. Croix, and Phenix. Baston RX8 and RX+, MHX HM, and Castaway are also great blanks depending on your application. You'd pick the guides you want and whatever reel seat and grip you want. You're not looking at that much more of a cost.

You can look at mudhole.com to look at what's available. They are the wal-mart of rod building components and have an easy to navigate website. It'll give you a good idea as to what's available. They do not carry Batson blanks, though. Batson has one of the best shakey head blanks, 802.75, and best drop shot blanks, 822.5, that you can get.