Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Carolina Rigging

A buddy of mine turned me onto carolina rigging a few weeks ago and being rather new to it i am having some succes but still not exactly sure how to fish it correctly. Whats the best way to fish a carolina rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carolina Rigging

For me, 15lb Flouricarbon main line Swivel then 10-12 mono to hook. Enough weight (Brass or Tungsten) to keep it on the bottom based on depth and current with red glass bead between weight and swivel. Rule of thumb, the later in the year the longer the leader plus I use Lizards earlier in the year and Big Worms later in the year. Long cast, strip line so it sinks straight down then with rod tip slightly below horizontal to water , SWEEP the bait without reeling, pause while you reel up the slack keeping contact with bait, then repeat. By sweeping the rod you know EXACTLY how far and fast you are moving the bait. Don't reel to move the bait because you dint know how much you are moving it. When the bite comes set the hook SIDEWAYS not overhead. This is how I fish it but surely there are many here that know more than me

Post Thanks / Like

Elnuts has got it. Somethings that helped me when i started fishing it.
    Start with a long leader, 3'-4' then if no luck, shorten it by 6". It's easier to clip off 6"-8" each time, than to switch to a long one each time.
    Try different baits, i've had luck with lizards, brush hogs, (small and large). Also straight tailed worms, like a mann's jelly worm.
    Keep saying over and over to yourself, "sweep it" what i mean is, when you set the hook, you need to sweep it, a long pull, while reeling. If you
    just jerk it, like with a texas rig, your just pulling the sinker, make a long sweep, to the side, while reeling.. Hope this helps.... Tr

Post Thanks / Like

Elwood nailed it in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Elwood nailed it. For me it is harder to feel the fish on a Carolina rig than say a Texas rig or shakey head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    For me it is harder to feel the fish on a Carolina rig than say a Texas rig or shakey head.
    Should be the same, if not easier. You aren't using those "fast rig" deals are you? Those are terrible! Allowing the line to move freely through the weight is the most important thing, so that the fish does not feel the weight. A good heavy weight helps too, I always use a 3/4 oz. weight, preferably steel as it is bulkier and rolls up and over the rocks rather than wedge into them.

Post Thanks / Like

i bought one at a local bait shop and its a 8 or 9 inch steel leader with a 3/4 weight and beads on it with closed loop swivels on both ends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TubeFlipper23 View Post
    i bought one at a local bait shop and its a 8 or 9 inch steel leader with a 3/4 weight and beads on it with closed loop swivels on both ends.
    Throw that away. No wonder you're struggling.

Post Thanks / Like

Those premade carolina rigs are for the birds, especially when they're as easy to tie as anything....Like Art said, the line being able to move freely through the weight is what makes the rig....If you're struggling feeling the fish go test it out in a pond or a small body of water where you know the fish are going to be biting....It's hard to learn to fish any bait if you're only taking a couple bites a day on it