Search Fishin.com

Thread: Howdy!

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy!

Hey all, I just stepped in the door, and thought I'd formally convey my presence! My name's Scott, known to some as Pyro, 34, Melungeon-American (mix of Turkish, Cherokee, Portuguese, English, German, and sub-Saharan African) by ethnicity, Pentecostal-influenced postmodern Christian, speaker of 4 languages, with a really short attention span for things that don't relate to Christianity or fishing.

I fish mostly southwestern Virginia, and live about 20 minutes from Jenkins, Kentucky. I've been fishing for 30 years, and have caught 66 species & subspecies of fish on rod & reel thus far. I fish with an interesting group of misfits known locally as Bearded Alex, Fat Alex, Inkmaster, Coal Miner Wayne, Bentley, the noRmus, Tóño the Mexican, Soaptacular, and Pugnacious D. They keep me from getting too serious...

I'm active on several other forums using the same name, but I thought I'd check this one out just because it seems to be regional and I might be able to get or giive some useful information.

Tight lines!

Pyro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Howdy!

Welcome Pyro! Sounds like you have a great time with your buds with those names!!! That's awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot of Post-modern Christians but I've never met anyone who would actually own up to the moniker. Refreshing. Hiya Pyro.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, they're a good bunch of guys! All of us attend the same church except for Tóño the Mexican (who is the top chef in my county) and Fat Alex (an old friend from college). So we've got a salesman turned teacher (me), a market research guru (the noRmus), a tattoo artist (Inkmaster), a coal miner, a Mexican chef, an IT guy who's worked for the DOD and Homeland Security (Fat Alex), a land surveyor (Bentley), and 3 college kids (Bearded Alex, Pugnacious D, Soaptacular). Got some real personalities there.....

Bearded Alex, the noRmus, Bentley, and I are on a quest to catch 200 fish species & subspecies. We're having a blast with that...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what a post-modern Christian is, but I've got the fishing covered. Welcome. I also don't know how to catch 200 species of fish on a RnR. (Mostly I can't even catch one species very well.) Are y'all using zooplankton as bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Scott. I am one of a few females on this board and really like these guys. Most of them have been here for me in good times and bad times. We lived in Kingsport, TN for several years and just recently sold our house there; I now live in Alabama and have for slightly less than 2 years. I am familiar with Jenkins and Norton and have hiked High Knob Mountain with my husband.

Since you are also a fisherman, I'm providing a site for you to view the plans for Heritage Point at Kingsport. There are several pages of it and it's in pdf form so you may, or may not, have to wait for all of it to load. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.heritagekingsport.com/sto...e%20120111.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    Don't know what a post-modern Christian is, but I've got the fishing covered. Welcome. I also don't know how to catch 200 species of fish on a RnR. (Mostly I can't even catch one species very well.) Are y'all using zooplankton as bait?
    Pentecostal influenced postmodern Christian seems to be a confusing belief since "postmodernism" means anything, everything, and nothing. Sounds to me like people who are afraid to commit to Christ but still use the word Christian rather than to admit New Age, agnostic, or atheistic beliefs. A lot of it is following the teachings of Marx and Freud. That way they don't have to take a stand for or against anything. If I missed something, maybe he will explain it and what his real position is regarding sin.

http://www.christianity.co.nz/truth5.htm

Post Thanks / Like

My version of postmodern Christian is still very much sold out to Christ, without allegiance to manmade institutions such as denomination, political party, etc. I see political parties as having ruined our government, just as George Washington said they would. Denomination has a similarly divisive effect on the body of Christ. I believe that we would be better off moving past all that and taking down these manmade institutions.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't a more accurate term be "anti-denominational"? The term "post-modern" carries a lot of baggage you apparently don't want to check in.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used that one too. We'll go with that for now.