Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IU anwd UK

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IU anwd UK

Lol he is playing the game. Why hate so much? I'm not a die hard UK fan but the hate for them makes me wonder is there is alot of jealousy out there. I'm a gator fan and as long as UK plays by the rules I can't gripe about. Just hope others catch on!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Lol he is playing the game. Why hate so much? I'm not a die hard UK fan but the hate for them makes me wonder is there is alot of jealousy out there. I'm a gator fan and as long as UK plays by the rules I can't gripe about. Just hope others catch on!!
    I wanna be clear about one thing. I'm not a UK fan but don't hate them.

I do however HATE CALIPARI with the burning passion of ten thousand suns, i always have and I always will. I also won't waiver from that ever or appologize for it. Sorry it's in my DNA.....And I hated his filthy guts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before he ever got the UK job to, so I'm at least consistant...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I wanna be clear about one thing. I'm not a UK fan but don't hate them.

I do however HATE CALIPARI with the burning passion of ten thousand suns, i always have and I always will. I also won't waiver from that ever or appologize for it. Sorry it's in my DNA.....And I hated his filthy guts waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before he ever got the UK job to, so I'm at least consistant...
    I guess I'm surprised at the folks who hate his way of playing by the rules(innocent until proven guilty) set forth by the NBA and NCAA. If people hate him I have no problem with that. I didn't care for him either before he came here but as I hear and see what he brings to the table I can't help but like him now. He isn't my favorite person but he gets a pass from me as a person.

I was really speaking of how he does business. One and done players are legal and if he can get them and they play within the rules then more power to him. I'm understanding of folks who want four years of the same players and all that but thats the old way. The new way is the way of Calipari. Let him win another championship or two or run final four teams each year and I'm betting other top schools like UL and IU will be looking for a few of those players as well. Its just a guess on my part but I have seen it in business every time and College sports is a business.

Take the situation we are in now in this country. We had manufacturing of so many products here in the USA until they figured out it was cheaper to send that stuff over seas/mexico to continue to stay in business or to make more money. Noone likes it but thats the rules set forth by our wonderful Gubment. Companies fought it but many caved in to stay competative and I see this situation as similiar. The present rules allow Calipari to get recruits with promises and the proven record of getting them first round NBA status and or a title. So these kids wanna win and get that mega money contract so they will come. Other schools will either play the system like this or suffer or the NBA and NCAA will have to change the rules.

Personally, I would like to see the kids stay at least two years. I also maintain that UL and IU would have loved players like Davis, Teague, Knight, Wall and others on their team and if after one year they were as dominant as they were here well....NBA bound!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh don't get me wrong Don, the man is the best recruiter in all of college ball but here's my question....................WHY? Is he that pretty, is he that **** good, is he the best coach in the game, is he the Pied Piper of basketball???
    Hell I don't know and maybe he's squeaky clean. I just flat don't like the sumbitch, there are just some that you...me...the neighbors dog just flat ain't gonna like. Calipari is that to me.

If he put me on his payroll and I could make the fat check..who knows in 10 or twenty years I might be able to tolerate him, but until then I will keep pretty much hating him, lol...

I would love to have Davis and Wall and some others he's had on my team, heck yea, would love every second of it, I ain't stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Oh I'm not jealous trust me....of Cal, UK, or anything resembling the BBN as they call themselves.....I am flat saying if UK/Cal are going to run that type of program (following the rules or not) I will continue to dislike the situation and in this case the whole institution. No other coach in the country is doing what Cal is...they may be trying, but its not working. He is putting them in this position to win at all costs, never play on the road out of conference, and make as much money as possible....winning and money....I love both but not when it comes to the bball team I choose to rout for. Mercenaries is what his players are, and the fans are his puppets.....listen to how he talks to the UK fans....telling them what they should feel and think.....rediculous!

Post Thanks / Like

Every single player that Cal has brought to Kentucky, including Demarcus THUG Cousins, would have been welcomed with open arms by ANY College Basketball coach in the country. This includes IU and UofL. Hook a lie detector test to Pitino and Creen and tell them in advance of signing the letter of intent that each player was one and done and BOTH coaches would have still signed them. Do I like the fact that I have to learn new faces and jersey numbers under the Cal era, NO. Is it cheating that Cal gets the best recruiting classes based on the current rules, NO. Would I have loved to see this team stay together and win 3 titles in a row with a possible 4 in a row, ABSOLUTELY. But until they change the rules, the coach that gets the best players will have the best results. Hard to argue with an Elite 8, Final 4 and a Title in his first 3 years. I have said all along I hate the rule. But every coach in America are recruiting the best talent, Cal happens to get the best group of talent and has a niche for blending them together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lroberts View Post
    Oh I'm not jealous trust me....of Cal, UK, or anything resembling the BBN as they call themselves.....I am flat saying if UK/Cal are going to run that type of program (following the rules or not) I will continue to dislike the situation and in this case the whole institution. No other coach in the country is doing what Cal is...they may be trying, but its not working. He is putting them in this position to win at all costs, never play on the road out of conference, and make as much money as possible....winning and money....I love both but not when it comes to the bball team I choose to rout for. Mercenaries is what his players are, and the fans are his puppets.....listen to how he talks to the UK fans....telling them what they should feel and think.....rediculous!
    As usual I am confused, Kentucky plays Kansas on a neutral floor, plays Louisville and UNC in Rupp Arena - AS PART OF THE ALTERNATE HOME AND HOME SCHEDULE, plays at IU, plays the 25th rated schedule in the country (IU played the 32nd rated schedule in comparison) and he is dodging competition to win at all cost. I guess Cal should play a tougher road schedule with the best recruiting classes every year so UK will be even more prepared when it comes time to play for the Banner because what he is doing now is not working.

Recruiting by the rules, coaching by the rules and winning by the rules is still legal last I checked. If IU decided to shoot every free throw granny style facing away from the basket left handed with their eyes closed, which is by the rules, they should not complain if they lost every game by a single point. Don't hate the player hate the game. If they change the rules of the game, the coach that adapts the best will have the best success. If you refuse to get a cell phone, on principal, then don't gripe because you can't find a payphone to make a call. Change with the times or get left behind

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong Don, the man is the best recruiter in all of college ball but here's my question....................WHY? Is he that pretty, is he that **** good, is he the best coach in the game, is he the Pied Piper of basketball???
    Hell I don't know and maybe he's squeaky clean. I just flat don't like the sumbitch, there are just some that you...me...the neighbors dog just flat ain't gonna like. Calipari is that to me.

If he put me on his payroll and I could make the fat check..who knows in 10 or twenty years I might be able to tolerate him, but until then I will keep pretty much hating him, lol...

I would love to have Davis and Wall and some others he's had on my team, heck yea, would love every second of it, I ain't stupid.
    Lol man I understand what your saying! It's all good. I do think part of his success is coming to a school that had so much to offer from a history standpoint and that matched with his recruiting and salesmanship has made UK the target for criticism and approval. Like I said I don't love the guy because before he came to the SEC Florida could win a dang game against UK!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Guys I'm not saying Cal IS cheating....the rule is the rule and he is starting a trend that I feel is bad for college basketball. My thoughts are not out of blind hatred for UK. I don't know any of them personally....I just like to root against them. I'm sure most of them are fine young men....the problem is (and I felt this way about Eric Gordon) they don't really want to be there....they want to be in the league making money....who wouldn't? I don't blame them for the situation, in my line of thinking the person recruiting them is to blame. College sports, imo, should not just be about making money and winning....and that is what Cal is all about. The turnover at UK is ludicrous.....how do they pass the graduation standards??? UCONN anyone??? To each his own I guess. If he isn't caught breaking rules, I will actually be relieved (and surprised) for college basketball. The bottom is that I don't like this "non-traditional" approach to college programs...and I am not necessarily a traditional guy. I was talking to my wife about this evening b/c it was in the paper, and we both felt that if IU starts taking this approach that we will find it hard to handle.....I sure hope it doesn't come to that. Don't get me wrong, I hate to lose and love to win as much as anyone, but I'm not sure I could support any program that creates such chaos and turnover through recruiting tactics...again, to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how Cal is "starting" the trend. I barely can find Bloomington on a map but as sure as the day is long, Creen recruited each and every player that Played at UK for one and two years then went pro. Kansas, Duke, UCONN, UNC and many other schools have had one and done kids recently. The issue is that instead of having 1-2, UK has 3-5 each year. The only trend Cal is starting is the fact he gets that many to buy into a system each year. The old saying "it takes two to tango" holds true here as well. Just because a kid completes his Freshman year of College Basketball and is eligible to turn pro, does not mean he should turn pro. Daniel Orton made a mistake. Marcus Teague is making a mistake. But, they are of legal age and as such are able to make their own decision. Myself, let them go straight out of high school to the NBA. But, once they sign the letter of intent, make them stay 2-3 years minimum. This let's those that are in it for the sport to go and those who want an education / develop basketball skills to attend college. The best of both worlds are met.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Every single player that Cal has brought to Kentucky, including Demarcus THUG Cousins, would have been welcomed with open arms by ANY College Basketball coach in the country. This includes IU and UofL. Hook a lie detector test to Pitino and Creen and tell them in advance of signing the letter of intent that each player was one and done and BOTH coaches would have still signed them. Do I like the fact that I have to learn new faces and jersey numbers under the Cal era, NO. Is it cheating that Cal gets the best recruiting classes based on the current rules, NO. Would I have loved to see this team stay together and win 3 titles in a row with a possible 4 in a row, ABSOLUTELY. But until they change the rules, the coach that gets the best players will have the best results. Hard to argue with an Elite 8, Final 4 and a Title in his first 3 years. I have said all along I hate the rule. But every coach in America are recruiting the best talent, Cal happens to get the best group of talent and has a niche for blending them together.
    Pitino stopped recruiting him and Cousin's was not happy about it and even mentioned it publicly. Pitino also didn't offer a scholarship to Bledsoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Pitino stopped recruiting him and Cousin's was not happy about it and even mentioned it publicly. Pitino also didn't offer a scholarship to Bledsoe.
    Was that why he went all Ron Artest on poor little ole Jillian Swopshire that year??

Anger management and counseling needed for that street thug. Poor ole Jill Swopshire still has nightmares, lol..
    Hell a sixth grade school girl could whip Swop, why didn't he at least choke somebody that could fight back.