Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IU anwd UK

Post Thanks / Like

IU anwd UK

No posts as of yet. Wow. It should be played on a home and home.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IU anwd UK

70,000 in the Dome at Indy would be nice. The only problem is 60,000 of them would be wearing Blue. That is why IU wants no part of a neutral site.

Post Thanks / Like

On one hand, I really hate to give up the tradition of a home and home with Indiana...that rivalry was poised to get back to something even more special.

On the other hand, I want to tell anyone giving UK crap about it that unless their team plays Duke, Carolina, Louisville, all before conference play starts, then shut up. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    On one hand, I really hate to give up the tradition of a home and home with Indiana...that rivalry was poised to get back to something even more special.

On the other hand, I want to tell anyone giving UK crap about it that unless their team plays Duke, Carolina, Louisville, all before conference play starts, then shut up. LOL
    That would be a fair statement if UK played in a different conference, but they don't. Louisville and Indiana play a similar schedule, but most of the tough games are in conference. UK does not have this luxury, because the SEC is basically UK and one other team each year. Also, looks like they might drop the UNC game.

What I really enjoy is that IU is getting the heat for this, but it was Cal that said back in the pre-season that they would have to drop a rivalry game against either IU, UNC or U of L. Looks like now he is choosing to drop 2 of them. He pulled the same stuff at Memphis, he wanted to play Gonzaga on a neutral site in Washington, but wanted them to come down and play in the Fed Ex forum, which is Memphis home floor.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame either way.....both sides are to blame. It's not a huge loss to the teams and their seasons, but it is a huge loss for us fans. Stupid!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE this...To be honest for the past several years it hadn't been much of a contest or a rivalry but Creen has IU heading the right direction and it would have been an entertaining rivalry for years to come...IU has a great homecourt advantage and was a great venue to play at...I agree that it would pay bigger dividends for them to play in front of 70,000 but play it home and home...I think it's stupid to keep these friggin cupcakes on the schedule and drop a game like this....LET THEM PLAY

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good read. Nothing is set in stone forever so who knows how this will play out in a few years. Change is good but if this doesn't work as well as he thinks folks will be upset.

Post Thanks / Like

Good read??? Ummm, yes, if you like the words of a dictator trying to brainwash the masses. Seriously, he made some valid points.....but that is the type of garbage that has nearly ruined the game of basketball....especially in regards to recruiting. If you go back and think about what Cal says in the article you should be really thinking about supporting that type of attitude in any program, not just UK. How can he say that his team has been put in this situation or that they are somehow at a disadvantage in any way to other teams? He creates this mess by his recruiting tactics, knowing full well that these guys are leaving after one year. Protect them....from what??? Losing?? Any teacher/coach knows that people learn by doing something, making mistakes, and then learning from them. How does losing hurt them.....poor babies? Playing, and winning or losing in tough environments makes teams better. This all comes down to winning and money......exactly why I am glad not to be a UK fan (or any other school w/this "non-traditional approach)! I know that others on here and everywhere have differing opinions and will not agree, but this type of approach HAS to be stopped....what stinks is that the NBA holds the power here....its their rule. Cal is "playing" the rules (nice double usage, huh) right now and is no doubt close, if not into shady territory. I will never be a UK fan, its in my blood, but a new approach to the world of college basketball sure would sway my opinion of the institution as a whole. UK may beat IU the next time we play, they sure did the last time we played.....but you know what???? We get to cheer the same group of players next year that we did this year....the ones we REALLY know and care about.....not the ones who used us as a stepping stone to the NBA!

Post Thanks / Like

So, now that Kentucky has dominated the overall recruiting landscape and won a championship, all of this is somehow horrible for basketball, unfair, and must be stopped. Oh, OK. LOL

As for creating a mess...if you mean the mess of having to deal with all the crap that comes with winning the big one, then I guess it's a beautiful mess we're in. I think everyone in blue can "suffer" through reloading the roster every year if it means hanging banners now and then.

It's not about protecting them from loosing games as much as it's about seeding for the big dance. The object of this little chess game is to get top talent to UK that will be NBA draft picks, prepare them for their career, get the drafted, and hopefully win championship banners as we go. So far, so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian while I agree with what you are saying there is NO doubt Calipari hates loosing and will stack the deck in his favor to avoid it. All coaches do it and he's done it everywhere he's been.

I do feel Kentucky needs to continue to play avery tough out of conference schedule. The SEC really is just not that good of a basketball conference year after year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lroberts View Post
    Good read??? Ummm, yes, if you like the words of a dictator trying to brainwash the masses. Seriously, he made some valid points.....but that is the type of garbage that has nearly ruined the game of basketball....especially in regards to recruiting. If you go back and think about what Cal says in the article you should be really thinking about supporting that type of attitude in any program, not just UK. How can he say that his team has been put in this situation or that they are somehow at a disadvantage in any way to other teams? He creates this mess by his recruiting tactics, knowing full well that these guys are leaving after one year. Protect them....from what??? Losing?? Any teacher/coach knows that people learn by doing something, making mistakes, and then learning from them. How does losing hurt them.....poor babies? Playing, and winning or losing in tough environments makes teams better. This all comes down to winning and money......exactly why I am glad not to be a UK fan (or any other school w/this "non-traditional approach)! I know that others on here and everywhere have differing opinions and will not agree, but this type of approach HAS to be stopped....what stinks is that the NBA holds the power here....its their rule. Cal is "playing" the rules (nice double usage, huh) right now and is no doubt close, if not into shady territory. I will never be a UK fan, its in my blood, but a new approach to the world of college basketball sure would sway my opinion of the institution as a whole. UK may beat IU the next time we play, they sure did the last time we played.....but you know what???? We get to cheer the same group of players next year that we did this year....the ones we REALLY know and care about.....not the ones who used us as a stepping stone to the NBA!
    Neutral sites= more money for both programs.

"We get to cheer the same group of players next year that we did this year....the ones we REALLY know and care about.."

Well we had Jones and Lamm for 2 years...If IU hangs a banner be prepared....the trend unfortunately is catching.

N