Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Farm Pond Turnover

I live near Jefferson Co/Spencer Co line and got hammered by the hail storm last weekend. Hailed golfball size hail for 30 minutes. Thursday, five days after the storm, I had about 200 fish turn up dead in my 1/2 acre pond. Just wondering if anyone had the same issue, or any idea if the two are related. I have lived here for 8 years, never had anything like this. Mostly bass, gills and my two grass crap. I have installed an aerator since in hopes to save any fish left. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Farm Pond Turnover

I've been told that even a really cold rain can cause turnover at times you wouldn't expect. Sounds like you hit the nail on the head with the hail.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it was caused by the pond turning over. Water temperatures in the depths are still cold this time of the year. Water at the surface is not that hot yet.

Yes rain water is cooler than the top surface waters and the lower air temps will cool the surface a bit. Remember that cold water sinks and hot water rises. There will be some mixing in the upper 10 ft in that pond.

A lot depends on how deep and large the pond is as to when or if it turns over. But remember it has to Stratify first. I'm wondering if there is a stong thermocline in May? It's been hot here in S. IN for the last week but it was cold before that. Highs were in the upper 80's and lower 90's for a few days in a row.

Perhaps lighting stuck the pond and killed the fish? Perhaps it's the threat of lighting striking the water that send the fish deep into cover after the storm arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

the hail caused the pond to change temps suddenly shocking the fish. It took 5 days for it to be visible (fish floating to the surface).