Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Humviewer and Google Earth

I've recorded a few Recordings on my Humminbird 898 over at Bluegrass Pit, Loon Pit and Otter pit. Today I looked at them using Humviewer software. At first I could not tell where they were taken at or which pit the tracks represented. Then I figured out how to put these recording and their tracks into Google Earth. Man that was the cat's meow. Now I can tell exactly where my boat went on Loon Pit and where the side imaging was performed. I'm still playing around with Humviewer but I can see it's coupling with Google Earth is what was needed.

I also found out that in Google Earth they have a historical satelite view of the same area all the way back to 1992. Back then there was no water in Loon Pit or Bluegrass Pit like there is today. Back then they were still mining the area.

I saw some man made furrows or hills on my SI scan and wonder what they were. Well when I looked at the 1992 Google earth Satelite veiw it was clear that they were made by the shovel at the mine. I can see them on the ground and now see them under the water. And I thought that these pits didn't have any structure. The dark areas on the SI scans which I thought were just soft bottom are actually deeper areas as I can see them clearly on the satelite view or picture from space.

Anyone else playing around with google earth and seeing what I'm just now finding?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Humviewer and Google Earth

I found this in one of the Bluegrass Pits. I can't remember which one right now but I will look it up later. I did save the Waypoint/screen shot coordiantes but they don't mean anything to me until I look them up in Google Earth and display where they are located on the Google Earth Map.

But if you think you know what this is I'd like to know what you think it may be. I'm not sure what it might be. But it's cool looking and I'd bet that it would hold fish. I may have a better idea what it is after I figure out where it's located in the water.

Here it is:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/...inStripPit.jpg

OK I found out what this is. This may help clue you into what it is if you know about Bluegrass Pit. This is right next to the concrete launch ramp on the South end of this pit. That should give you a good clue as to what this is. Note: It's not there anymore. Even you guys up North should be able to figure out this one if you are reading these IN forums.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/...ut28ftdeep.jpg
    Last edited by Moveon; 05-08-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ummm stolen box truck lol???!!! read the title of the picture after i clicked on it ... if im wrong thats a bad bad trick your playin

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I just forgot that I labled it that in my photo bucket album. LOL

Did you see the other picture of the box truck? Both sidescans show the box truck but it sure does look different in the two scan's snap shots.

One does look like a Box Truck and I can see the front bumber and windshield.

The second picture had me fooled until I did the google earth thing and saw the track where I had performed the scan and or snap shot. That's how I knew it was the box truck. Before that I was clueless. I was thinking it was a a metal tree of some kind. It sure was not a natural rock or anything. Only after I did the google earth seach and zoomed in on the map corridinate did I realize were it was and which pit it was in. That told me what it was.

Plus after I posted the picture of the waypoint at the Launch Ramp at Bluegrass I knew that some would figure it was the stolen box truck sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by fishassasin View Post
    ummm stolen box truck lol???!!! read the title of the picture after i clicked on it ... if im wrong thats a bad bad trick your playin

Post Thanks / Like

buddy and i have found sunken barges on the ohio with his 997 si its awesome how much detail will show up on those things

Post Thanks / Like

buddy and i have found sunken barges on the ohio with his 997 si its awesome how much detail will show up on those things
    It's amazing what these Side scanning Units can see in the water. Soon Humminbird will have a device (tranducer on a movable pole) that will allow their Units to see 360 deg around the boat when the boat's not even moving.

I was surfing the web sites for screen shots of the different objects that people have found and posted on various web sites. If you do a search for Humminbird SI you will find many of these webs sites that are devoted to this technology. There you will find all kinds of pictures of submerged objects.

One guy thinks that he found an ancient elephant tusk in a river in Scandanivia. SP?

Other's show pictures of old bridges and roads that are now under the water.

My friend who fishes Patoka Lake a lot has an 1198 on his boat and we found a old bridge that went over a creek in the past but it's not flooded and in 25 ft of water. There were all kinds of fish swimming around this old bridge. There are maps of patoka that show where all the old bridge and roads were located. I wish that I could digitize the map I have of Patoka Lake and get Lakemaster to use it with the Humminbird Unit's map view. It's from the Corp of Engineers who mapped Patoka Lake before it was flooded. Their map shows the old property lines and even small ditches that ran though the farm fields before the lake was opened. The maps shows old houses and road as well as fence lines and other details like that. None of the Digtial Maps of Patoka are as accurate and you could think you ari right on top of an old houses foundation and be 100 ft off the spot.

I've thought about taking my boat out on the River and taking a look at the Area below the dam at Newburgh, IN. I've been out there in the past with my Humminbird LCR 8000 and it was scary how much stuff was submerged in the river right downstream of that dam. There is a big hole there dug up by the hydrolics of the water coming though the dam. So huge logs are stuck down there in that big hole in the River bottom. But I've not seen them with my SI yet.

Some of my old friends use the Humminbird for search and rescue operations. There are a lot of SR people on the forums and they talk about using SI to conduct recovery of cars and other things in the water. That's where this technology really shines.

Post Thanks / Like

weve tried to use the SI right up at the dam but the water is too turbulent for it to function right .. all you get is alot of static like on your screen .. but if you back up about 50 yds off the red line it starts to work.. but it wont go all the way to the dam... unfortunately.. too turbulent ... hes had his for like 4 years now and is a wizard with it ... they are nice... another buddy has the hds 10 by lowrance .. now that thing is sweet also.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a Hummibird Customer since the early 1980s. My first depth finder was the Lowrance Little Green Box which ran off to 6 volt dry cell batteries. But I was checking out the Dr. Depth program and found out that it can make home name lake maps using the Lowrance HDS LLS system and then import those maps into the Lowrance HDS unit.

Man that is what I was hoping that IDNR would do for us on Bluegrass, Loon and Otter Pits. But no they gave us a PDF file online that ***** badly. They made Loon Pit look like a bath tub with their contour lines. I know that the bottom of that lake is much more varied than what the IDNR maps shows. Go online to their web site and see for yourselves. I meet the girl that was doing the survey at Bluegrass and tried to ask her for more information. I also noticed how she drove the boat during here survey of the area near the concrete launch ramp. She didn't do a good job at all IMHO.

Anyway I'd buy the Dr Depth Program for about 300 dollar and do my own mapping if I had a Lowrance HDS system.

Until Humminbird or Johnson Controls give people like the programmer for Dr Depth (third Party software developers) the source code so that they could integrate their maps into the Humminbirds Map view I'll have to do without local lake maps.

I wonder if the SI would work better below the dam in the summer months when there is less water flowing in the Ohio River. Less water might mean less turbulance if the corp were to close more of the gates.

weve tried to use the SI right up at the dam but the water is too turbulent for it to function right .. all you get is alot of static like on your screen .. but if you back up about 50 yds off the red line it starts to work.. but it wont go all the way to the dam... unfortunately.. too turbulent ... hes had his for like 4 years now and is a wizard with it ... they are nice... another buddy has the hds 10 by lowrance .. now that thing is sweet also.

Post Thanks / Like

An of you guys use Google Earth and looked at the 1992 satelite picture of the Bluegrass F&W area? You can learn a lot about the lay of the land before it was flooded. Not sure when these pits filled up with water all the way but it had to be after 1992. The next satelite picture was around 1998 and the pits were filled by then. So sometime between 1992 and 1998 they filled up with water. You can even see the old steam shovel from Buyciers Erie digging in the pit in the 1992 pictures.

When you zoom in to the Bluegrass F&W area on the Google Earth Map view then check the upper left side of the screen to see if you can find the slider that allows you to change which satellite views are being shown. You also have to enable this feature called Historical Views or something to that affect. That's somewhere in the menu at the top of the screen. I can't remember exactly where that's located or what it's called right now. OK I looked it up and it's under the VIEW menu item and it's called Historical Imagery. Just make sure that you put a check mark next to this item in the list under the views menu.

Here's the Satellite Photo of Otter Pit in 1992. Check out the roads and unflooded area that are not under water today.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/...0/OtterPit.jpg
    Last edited by Moveon; 05-09-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Man. Can you post some more photos.
    If it is easier you can upload them here:

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I'd like to see more of that side imaging and hear abut what I am looking at.
    Interesting stuff that I guess I will have to learn one day.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

sure. I can do that and will post some more. I'm learning how to get them out of my Humminbird and onto the computer and then into my photobucket account. The photo forum will work too. I've yet to work with that yet. Just haven't figured out that it was there. I'm getting old and senile. LOL.

There are some other fishing forums that specialize in these Sidescanning stuff. And they have a whole lot of pictures or snap shots of different stuff that they see under the water with SI.

Back around 2005 or so when Humminbird First Came out with this I knew it was going to be a great thing for the fisherman. I couldn't afford the first units nor can I afford the 1198 higher priced units. I'm hoping that eventually the prices will come down to where everyone can buy one. They started making smaller and cheaper models and so I finally bought one. I have a lot of fun just looking at the bottom of lakes as I'm very interested in topography and how the fish relate to changes in the bottom. I read about this structure fishing stuff as a young man in the Fishing facts Magazines and learned a lot about this stuff from those magazines.

I also had to make my own topo maps in my Geology Class and in an ecology class at
    Purdue. So I enjoy mapping and this type of thing. I just wish I had more ambition and patience to to more of this.

Peter you should check out Pat Hahs's web site and his www.hydrographix.com. I think that's the right web address. He's done a lot of good mapping of KY and Barkley Lakes using a towed array sonar. That's basically what the US Navy uses on their nuclear submarines. Only they used them to hear other submarines that may be behind them and or following them in their baffles. Pretty cool stuff. I've had a keen interest in submarine warfar ever since I was younger. I read some cool books about the WWII submarine service and got interested in submarines a long time ago. And sonar is what submarines do a lot of. If only they could trolll some crank baits behind those subs. LOL