Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone catching gills yet?

I don't need any spots or lakes.........I have a couple ideas and locations. I've not been out but 2 times all year, and my DIX River day trip Sunday is totally screwed by this rain.

I'm looking to try to stick some gills instead. If folks are catchin, then I'm willing to hookup the boat and take a gander.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Looking to stick a mess for myself......again, not looking to clean out a lake or anything, just NEED to scratch an itch.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone catching gills yet?

Gills & other sunfish have been biting pretty well in Virginia for a couple months..

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Well they are starting to bed up at the hoosier lakes, but I haven't fished for them. Lots of boats catching them, but I didn't see any size to many of the ones that have been caught, but haven't really been eyeing them either. Tipsaw has been getting hammered for the gills and crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught over 100 in 3 days with dad and kids two weeks ago in a small lake in harrison county. They were all caught off beds in less than 2 feet of water. Nothing better to scratch an itch than sight fishing for big gills and redear.

Post Thanks / Like

the majority of them are getting ready to spawn in lakes in southern indiana. not for sure about the creeks. Caught about 25 in two hours last weekend with some bigger than your hand. just get out there and im sure you can catch some!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys..........THANKS........

I didn't make it out today. WORK decided I didn't need to go fishing. I may head out a couple nights after work though. I live in New Albany, and Me thinks, there are a few local lakes that I can scope out.

AGAIN.......THANKS.

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

went with a buddy up north, he started fly fishing for them, every cast. can't fly fish, but hooked up a bobber and a fly. caught 100 in about 3 hrs, most went back, a few went to the freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

gills and ears are definitely on bed at blue grass... caught a bunch today for fun ... got fish in the freezer already dont need anymore than what i got right now until i eat them.. but it was awesome... caught some bass and the ears were huge. biggest ive seen in a while

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I went over the Bluegrass and saw a guy with a bunch of big gills and a crappie and one big catfish.

Did you check them in with the IDNR guy at the ramp? He's not there all the time. He drives around the area from what I have seen. In the past they would post a guy there at one of the pits for the morning and then move him to a different pit for the evening shift the next day. Evidently this guy likes to drive around or their method of taking the survey has changed from their past opeations.

Quote Originally Posted by fishassasin View Post
    gills and ears are definitely on bed at blue grass... caught a bunch today for fun ... got fish in the freezer already dont need anymore than what i got right now until i eat them.. but it was awesome... caught some bass and the ears were huge. biggest ive seen in a while

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Yesterday I went over the Bluegrass and saw a guy with a bunch of big gills and a crappie and one big catfish.

Did you check them in with the IDNR guy at the ramp? He's not there all the time. He drives around the area from what I have seen. In the past they would post a guy there at one of the pits for the morning and then move him to a different pit for the evening shift the next day. Evidently this guy likes to drive around or their method of taking the survey has changed from their past opeations.
    didnt see him around...ive seen a guy in the past though.. nice guy. loved the open water bass though.. all caught on 5 inch trick sticks in a red watermelon flake color. they wouldnt touch anything else. used it as a swim bait

Post Thanks / Like

I learned to fly fish using my dad's old bamboo fly rod. I caught spawning blue gills using a black ant that would sink slowly (very slowly) I use to buy them at the old K-Mart on the West Side of Evansville, IN.

I had this 2 acre lake surrounded with pine trees as it was a recreational lake with a picnic area. I'd setup next to the lake on a picnic table and spot the fish in the shallows. It was easy to see their nests as the sunlight filtered down though the shallow water. I'd fish for hours out there in the early summer months.

I was in college back then and worked at the lake every summer for about 7/8 years. After the first two years I just worked part time so that I could get into the place for free and swim everyday. If I'm not fishing in the summer I'm swimming or playing on the diving boards. In fact I can remember being around 3 -5 years old and swimming underwater with a sharpened wooden popcycle stick and chasing bluegills with it. My dad use to take the family up to Pathlins lake in Newburgh a lot during the summer months. Dad was a teacher had 3 months off school ever year. But he usually would get a summer job so that would take him away from the family. But he made time to take me swimming on the summer weekends.

Now one of my fraternity brothers (Dr. Roger Coleman) lives on this lake and I'm sure he would let me fish it if I ever were to ask him permission. I know a lot of people who have private lakes. Two of the Finneman brothers both own or live on huge private lakes.

These days I own 4 different fly rods. From a #4 weight graphite rod for small trout to a larger fiberglass #8 fly rod for Larger Bass. I need to get the boat out and take the fly rods over to Bluegrass and find some spawning beds with my SI unit. Sounds like a good plan.

I've been wanting to go and today may be the ideal day to go fly fishing. It's going to be calm and around 70 deg F outside today with lots of sunshine. Just perfect for the bluegills to build a nest and carry out mother natures business.

Quote Originally Posted by riverman317 View Post
    went with a buddy up north, he started fly fishing for them, every cast. can't fly fish, but hooked up a bobber and a fly. caught 100 in about 3 hrs, most went back, a few went to the freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to fly fish all the time.. havent done it in a while.. need to get my another fly rod and reel. i used to be pretty good at it