Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange things that happen on the lake

Last night I had a first....I was running down the lake after dark when I saw some ducks fly up in front of me and next thing I knew one was in the boat with us....Hit my buddy in the chest and started flapping in the floor...I was laughing pretty good at him jumping around until it got under the console with me and on my legs and I started jumping....One of those deals where if someone woulda had a video camera we woulda made the funniest videos shows

Also about 5 years ago night fishing I took a bat square to the forehead at about 50mph and I can't lie it hurt a little

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange things that happen on the lake

One of my fishing partners (who shall remain nameless unless he would like to reveal himself) hooked into a Canadian Goose while casting out a crankbait recently. The goose flew into his lure while it was on its way out!

Panic ensued at both ends of the line as the bird had no idea what had happened and the angler had no intentions of reeling the bird back to the boat. Just as we were fumbling around for something to cut the line the goose somehow released itself and flew just a few yards away to recoup. Interestingly enough, about ten other geese few out to join it as if to offer protection while it came around.

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

I was up fishing lake michigan with a rooster tail. Snagged into a seagull in mid flight. Thing was it was kind of dusky so i never saw the bird take the actual bait. But i felt the pull on the line and when i set the hook that bird plummeted into the water. Then the line snapped and bird was free with. That was one of the wierdest things i have seen out fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago, fishing with my cousin we were on Clover Creek off the Ohio when a silver carp jumped in the boat with us. What made it really strange was that we hadn't seen one all day and he was on the trolliong motor when it jumped. I knew the outboard would get them going but we were actually fishing. I posted a picture of it on here when it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Steven, You have to let me in on who was with you!!! I have a few guesses.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Fn-is-L: Next time.....duck :-)

Caught a raccoon at Taylorsville fishing tight to the banks at night. He hit a crank bait.

Caught a seagull at Put-In-Bay Ohio, Lake Erie. He hit a Zora Spook while I was fishing from the bank.

Caught a Seagull at Lake Cumberland, Wolfe Creek, just outside the no wake of Alligator 2, during a December topwater, daytime Striper jumps trip. He hit a Redfin from about 40 feet up.

And in 1997, coming out from Alligator 2, just down from Campers Point, during a very foggy early morning trip, I almost ran over a 6 point buck and his accompanying doe as they were swimming from one side of the creek to the other. When I first saw the buck's rack, I thought it was a partially sunk floating tree. At 530 in the morning and in the fog, it shocked me when the "tree" started swimming toward the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago my friend and I were fishing in Vermont using shiners at the time. He had a bird dive down and take his out of the water. The bird took off and his drag was buzzing away as the bird kept taking line. My buddy actually tightened his drag and "played" him a little. It was pretty funny watching him "fish" this bird in the air for a bit before the bird eventually pulled the fish free.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had a goose fly into my cast and temporary snag itself. Funniest thing happened about 5 years ago at the Sandestin FL Resort. I made a cast along the shoreline with a spinner bait and startled two ducks who flew a few feet into the lake. About the time they hit the water, a bass in the 5-6 lb range hit my spinner bait and came out of the water beneath one of the ducks. For just a few seconds the bass was airborne with the duck on its head.

Post Thanks / Like

years ago on the ohio river while running about 50 mph came by a flock of geese resting on the water as we got closer they started to fly and my buddy swung the boat under them, one old goose looked back at us than just let loose and crapped all over my buddy. goose crap at 50 mph stings when it hits you in the face

Post Thanks / Like

An owl in full stealth mode came in from behind and plucked my buzzbait off the surface about 20' in front of the boat. As he banked and flew back past I shouted and he released it. Thankfully, neither the bait nor the trailer hook snagged his talons. He landed on the shore and cast me the evil eye. Had to put the dog on boat probation for failing to pick him up on radar.

Post Thanks / Like

Was down in FL watching a group of guys fish an intercoastal inlet, the small ones they were tossing to the pelicans, after a while they had about ten pelicans waiting for lunch. A guy lands a small one and instead of flipping it to the birds he holds it out for them to see and when they come rushing over, he shoved it down the back of one of his buddies shorts. CHAOS!! It ended with the guy with a fish in his pants tossing his buddy into the ocean, I still laugh every time I think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago, I caught a duck in the middle of the night on Cumberland top water fishing then last year I caught a bat. I thought it was a leaf on my line until it sqeeked at me for gabbing it to put it off.

We will see what happens this year.