Search Fishin.com

Thread: c rig help

Post Thanks / Like

c rig help

i just used a c rig this weekend for the first time and done ok with it caught 18 large mouths but had several good one that threw the hook what could i be doing wrong i used 10 lb line mono for the leader and to the pole with no beads and a shad jerk bait 15 inch leader
    2/0 hook with a quater ounce sinker worm jerkin up like with a texas rig and worked the bait with a jerking action

Post Thanks / Like

Re: c rig help

I've found that when I set the hook with a sweeping motion, to the side, the hook up ratio is alot better than just jerking up on the rod. This helped me.

Just My opinion tho.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of soft shad jerkbait?

I use a 5/0 EWG Gamakatsu with a Zoom Super Fluke.

A 2/0 sounds small - it could be that your soft jerk shad is balling up on that smaller hook, and working against you.

What brand of hook? That can make a difference as well. I used to buy the Mustad Ultra-Points and lost a lot of c-rig fish. After I started using Gamakatsu I rarely lose one anymore. I attribute that to the smaller hook wire diameter, that drives it in more easily.

One tip about your setup - it's a good idea to use a heavier main line than your leader. If the bait/hook gets hung you want the leader to break instead of the mainline, which saves your weight, bead, and swivel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post

A 2/0 sounds small - it could be that your soft jerk shad is balling up on that smaller hook, and working against you.

What brand of hook? That can make a difference as well. I used to buy the Mustad Ultra-Points and lost a lot of c-rig fish. After I started using Gamakatsu I rarely lose one anymore. I attribute that to the smaller hook wire diameter, that drives it in more easily.

One tip about your setup - it's a good idea to use a heavier main line than your leader. If the bait/hook gets hung you want the leader to break instead of the mainline, which saves your weight, bead, and swivel.
    ok it was a 5 inch shad fluke and i went today and got 15 pound for my reel and 10 for my leaders the hook is a eagle claw and i see you on here a lot where do you fish mostly what lake and do you ever fish for stripers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgHunter75 View Post
    I've found that when I set the hook with a sweeping motion, to the side, the hook up ratio is alot better than just jerking up on the rod. This helped me.

Just My opinion tho.
    thanks for the info i will try that im use to texas rig

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info i will use it all the next time out on the boat i fis buckhorn lake in perry county ky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndeere View Post
    ok it was a 5 inch shad fluke and i went today and got 15 pound for my reel and 10 for my leaders the hook is a eagle claw and i see you on here a lot where do you fish mostly what lake and do you ever fish for stripers
    I fish the Ohio River mostly in the Louisville area where I currently live, but grew up on Kentucky Lake (Calvert City to be exact) and fish Kentucky/Barkley Lakes every chance I get. Heading down there this weekend to spend time with the family for Mother's Day and to get in on the hot catfish action/spawn! I can't wait to fill the freezer!

A 5" shad fluke should have a 5/0 hook. Pick up a pack of the Gamakatsu 5/0 EWG hooks and see if you have any better results.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the Ohio River mostly in the Louisville area where I currently live, but grew up on Kentucky Lake (Calvert City to be exact) and fish Kentucky/Barkley Lakes every chance I get. Heading down there this weekend to spend time with the family for Mother's Day and to get in on the hot catfish action/spawn! I can't wait to fill the freezer!

A 5" shad fluke should have a 5/0 hook. Pick up a pack of the Gamakatsu 5/0 EWG hooks and see if you have any better results.
    ok i pick up some today and have a good weekend with the family thats whats its all about