Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky and Barkley Lake Levels ... BE WARNED

I have spent various parts of each of the last 4 weeks on the twins watching the FNF Bobber drop occasionally. The lake was 356 when I got there and is 356 today. The TVA has issued a warning that unless some drastic rain falls south of us that both lakes will be held right at Winter Pool of 355 for the summer. I watched both Fishermen, Joyboaters and Jet Skis cut across places that I would not run at 359 much less 355 all month long. You better buy your props and lower units now because after this summer Jet A Marina will be purchasing all in stock and it will be take a number to get lower units repaired.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky and Barkley Lake Levels ... BE WARNED

Thanks for posting. Just curious, where would the marker be when at normal summer pool?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Kentucky and Barkley Lake Levels ... BE WARNED

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    I have spent various parts of each of the last 4 weeks on the twins watching the FNF Bobber drop occasionally. The lake was 356 when I got there and is 356 today. The TVA has issued a warning that unless some drastic rain falls south of us that both lakes will be held right at Winter Pool of 355 for the summer. I watched both Fishermen, Joyboaters and Jet Skis cut across places that I would not run at 359 much less 355 all month long. You better buy your props and lower units now because after this summer Jet A Marina will be purchasing all in stock and it will be take a number to get lower units repaired.
    As an ole boy from Western Ky, if you are going to run those lakes; have and study your maps, know CURRENT lake levels and adjust accordingly....not a problem. Just you can't decide on the spur of the moment to CUT ACROSS THE LAKE....COULD BE IN BIG TROUBLE. So, always know where you are and water levels around you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Thanks for posting. Just curious, where would the marker be when at normal summer pool?
    359 is summer pool versus 355 at winter pool. At winter pool you can see the birds resting on the rock ledges in certain spots of North Ky Lake a good mile from either side. Both lakes are NO JOKE at winter pool and add in the wind factor / current / waves / alcohol / inexperience with navigating at winter pool and you get the percect storm for a lot of damaged boats and possibly a whole lot worse. Also remember the lake maps and GPS units show the lake at Summer Pool.

Post Thanks / Like

359 is summer pool versus 355 at winter pool.
    354 is winter pool.

I navigate those lakes all winter long, without issue. I'm hopeful that the low levels this year might actually make people learn how to navigate.

With the low levels, maybe we'll see a comeback of all the grass we had a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected, Winter Pool is 354. I spend my winters at Dale Hollow but for some reason I thought Ky Lake winter pool was 355 ever since I started fishing there in 2005. Scott is correct in that it is 354.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected, Winter Pool is 354. I spend my winters at Dale Hollow but for some reason I thought Ky Lake winter pool was 355 ever since I started fishing there in 2005. Scott is correct in that it is 354.
    They list winter pool as being 354, but rarely do you ever see it. It usually runs closer to 354.5 to 355 throughout the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they wanting to hold it at winter pool?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_4_Fun View Post
    Are they wanting to hold it at winter pool?
    The release that I saw said the levels would be kept at Winter Pool thru the Summer. It also said things were still being studied but Rain in the Cumberland and Tennessee River systems is what is needed

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Elnut there are a lot of lucky people out there boating. I was fishing a creek channel ledge and had a pontoon go between me and the shore and ran aground last Saturday.

If the lake does not come up I would hate to rent out a house boat to any of the idiots they rent to. On second thought I would hate to rent a houseboat at any water level just worse at winter pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent last Wedneday (May 2nd) fishing around Paris Landing and south of the bridge. Watched three different boats head for a community redear hole and run across a long, extended gravel bar on this east side. All three boats ran wide open through 2 feet of water. Each time we waited to hear the sound of a lower end unit being demolished, but somehow all three made it.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a couple of boats that had plenty of room behind us run right in front of us and between my 2 marker bouys. I was not waiting, I was wishing the entire back half of both boats would be ripped to shreds. They made it and I could not figure out how until I picked up the bouys. I used the trolling motor and the ledge was 2-3 feet on top dropping off to 22, but right where they went was a dip where it was 6 feet on top and about 15 yards wide.

Fishing is so bad down there I spent parts of the entire month and never caught a fish.