Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ky lake bluegill/red ear

So I'm hearing that the spawn is over and that they've moved deep which sounds like a huge lie. Anyone have any input in this? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ky lake bluegill/red ear

I guess nobody fishes ky lake anymore

Post Thanks / Like

According to Steve McAdams column in yesterdays Paris newspaper, they're in their second week of spawning. Due to low water levels, they're apparently spawning in the 5-7' depths rather than their normal sites that remain out of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you so much I'm only gonna be there next weekend so I don't have much time to pattern them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should hit them at the right time. I just got back from Barkley. We caught 21 in 3 days. Not very good but the best I have done.Also catch many channel cats.The spawn is not over. The water temp is 74 degrees. It is my understanding that shellcrackers spawn when water temp is at 75 degrees. I would think that is would get better next week. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny331 View Post
    I think you should hit them at the right time. I just got back from Barkley. We caught 21 in 3 days. Not very good but the best I have done.Also catch many channel cats.The spawn is not over. The water temp is 74 degrees. It is my understanding that shellcrackers spawn when water temp is at 75 degrees. I would think that is would get better next week. Just my opinion.
    See that's what I thought too. But my buddy was told different and I didn't believe it at all. I really appreciate the feedback because ky lake is a 3 hour drive for me and I didn't wanna waste the time going if it was over.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find the redear or catfish like I normally do this time of year. The low water had my usual spots messed up so I basically had to start from scratch.

Ended up finding lots and lots of crappie. Every lay down was loaded with them! However they were all about 9.75" long. For every 10 I caught, only one was big enough to keep.

As for bass, the Carolina rig really worked great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I couldn't find the redear or catfish like I normally do this time of year. The low water had my usual spots messed up so I basically had to start from scratch.

Ended up finding lots and lots of crappie. Every lay down was loaded with them! However they were all about 9.75" long. For every 10 I caught, only one was big enough to keep.

I would think that they would be in the same spots but you would just have to hold farther out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post

If you don't mind me asking were you throwing the c rig on ledges or at the bank in the bays?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    If you don't mind me asking were you throwing the c rig on ledges or at the bank in the bays?
    Secondary point. Only fished for bass for about 20 minutes, as we were in a Jon boat with no electronics and limited range. I caught six pretty quick, 5 of which were 14.5" and one was 15.5", I suppose they are the buck bass starting to make their way deeper. We were in Nickell Branch most of the day. We saw a few guys fishing the main point/boulders, and subsequent offshore stuff nearby, and doing quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    I would think that they would be in the same spots but you would just have to hold farther out.
    Tried that in past with little success. It's a rock bar with deep water on each side - needs to have 3 to 4 ft of water on it to be good. Right now it only has about 1.5 ft

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks again I'm just trying to have a idea of where to go and what to do before I get there since we are short on time