Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

new to ky lake asking info

I have never fished ky lake was asking info will be bring elderly father (74)and my son down 17-20 to ky dam resort.A trip for both would like any and all help i could receive. locations bait or any help thanks in advance jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new to ky lake asking info

Definitely fish in the marina area - the bank directly across from the boat ramp is awesome! The release fish hang out in there, and there are some dandy ones in there too! I've even caught some nice smallmouth along that bank with a jerkbait and topwater in the mornings.

Tons of bluegill in the marina area as well - used to be a guy that fished in there from sunup to sundown with a little one man boat not much bigger than a lawn chair. He always took home huge messes of bluegill.

The catfishing along the riprap at the breakwall, along the dam, and in the canal should be starting up soon. Small crappie minnows about 4' below a bobber usually does the trick...it also catches big bluegill and even smallmouth that might be hanging around the riprap as well.

The canal always holds a large variety of fish, so you can't go wrong fishing the whole thing, unless it's a busy Saturday and the recreational traffic is running wild!

Post Thanks / Like

Artcarney offered some good advice. When I was a lot younger, I worked at Kentucky Dam Marina, and we would catch some nice fish after work, and a variety. A lot of tournaments just release the bass close to the boat ramp. Some go out and drop them in the lake. Nonetheless, for a first time trip down, the marina bay is nice, sheltered, and fairly safe and gives you a variety you can fish for. If you decide to take a boat out, watch cutting across points and whatnot with the low water levels.

From the resort, you can reach a number of bank fishing places fairly quickly, but I believe the marina is one of the better places you'd find.

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish the land between the lakes side (east bank) any of the pea gravel points that come out usually hold fish. Small 4" worms, tubes, plastic craws, will catch largemouth and small jaws.