Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever adjusted your hooks

I am interested in if any of you have ever bent your hook to improve "hooking power" when setting the hook? I have a friend who is giving me great grief for such an act. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have you ever adjusted your hooks

If i am using a wide-gap, or off-set i always bend them a little off center, that way, if the fish has the bait side-ways, i've got a better chance of geting him in the upper or lower jaw. I don't bend hooks on jigs, i'm afraid it might affect their fall. Tr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    I am interested in if any of you have ever bent your hook to improve "hooking power" when setting the hook? I have a friend who is giving me great grief for such an act. Thanks.

Come on Bonefish, tell all of it to justify the grief Woody told me that you was bending out The hookpoints of #2 Gamakatsu offset hooks when you was Texas rigging lizards Bending them out so far as to having the hook texposed sticking an 1/8 inch outside the plastic trying to fish thru Grandmas Fuzz he said you hung up a ton and lost a good 7 pounder because the hook was bent out so much it had no locking power to keep fish on the hook

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess this story has reached out and touched more friends than I thought. It seems after doing some research on this matter some seem to feel as I do that bending a hook to your advantage does have some merit. However, it is difficult to scientifically prove it's effectiveness. One will also never know how many baits Woody pulls out of the fish's mouth on the jerk by not bending the hook. I also must admit, he out fishes me 4 to 1 so I little to stand on it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    Well, I guess this story has reached out and touched more friends than I thought. It seems after doing some research on this matter some seem to feel as I do that bending a hook to your advantage does have some merit. However, it is difficult to scientifically prove it's effectiveness. One will also never know how many baits Woody pulls out of the fish's mouth on the jerk by not bending the hook. I also must admit, he out fishes me 4 to 1 so I little to stand on it seems.
    You have seen Woody's hookset he don't pull it out of their mouth, he rips their lips open as far as 4:1, most of us can say that