Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crankbait/ fishing line question

So I'm going to be at ky lake this weekend and I may do a little bass fishing. My crankbait rod had 10 lb mono on it and I am wanting to throw a 6 xd. I've never used a deep diving crankbait before and I'm wondering if that line is to light. I also have a rod with 12 lb folurocarbon and a rod with 14 lb mono that would work for that bait. Which of these would be my best option?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crankbait/ fishing line question

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    So I'm going to be at ky lake this weekend and I may do a little bass fishing. My crankbait rod had 10 lb mono on it and I am wanting to throw a 6 xd. I've never used a deep diving crankbait before and I'm wondering if that line is to light. I also have a rod with 12 lb folurocarbon and a rod with 14 lb mono that would work for that bait. Which of these would be my best option?
    JMO 12 lb fluorocarbon

Post Thanks / Like

the 10lb or 12 lb will work the 14 may be to heavy, and the bait will not run as deep as you may need for it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinjt View Post
    the 10lb or 12 lb will work the 14 may be to heavy, and the bait will not run as deep as you may need for it to.
    Im just afraid that the 10 pound isn't heavy enough. I don't want to send my lure into orbit haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    Im just afraid that the 10 pound isn't heavy enough. I don't want to send my lure into orbit haha
    It's plenty heavy enough. I use 8 to get down deep enough on my favorite spots.

You have to have the correct rod for deep cranking; the correct rod won't break 8 lb test

I use Seaguar Red Label

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    It's plenty heavy enough. I use 8 to get down deep enough on my favorite spots.

You have to have the correct rod for deep cranking; the correct rod won't break 8 lb test

I use Seaguar Red Label
    I've fished every since I could hold a rod but I've never used a deep diver. The only thing I know is that you need a rod that lets you throw it a mile so the bait can run deep enough.

Post Thanks / Like

The thinner the line diameter the less water resistance you will get and the deep a crank bait will go with everything else being equal and only changing the size of the line's diameter. I guess thicker line diameter make the line cause more friction with the water. Line's cutting thought the water creates friction and resistance with the water which make the line stay up in the water column more.

Reduce the Outside diameter of the line to go deeper with the same crank bait and the same pulling force and the same amount of line out behind the boat.

Check out the Precision Trolling Book to see how line diameter affects just how deep a crank bait will go while being trolled at the any given boat speed.

Post Thanks / Like

12-16 lb florocarbon.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

I typically use stren 8 lb test but like everyone else you have to have a good rod for throwin deep divers which will cost an arm and a leg in most places. There is a technique called long lining where you throw out to the desired distance and then using the trolling motor spool more line out probably another 40 ft or so use your own judgement this will not only get your deep diver down deeper but will also allow you to stay down there longer tried it yesterday and the results were amazing ive never had a deep diver stay down like that

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recomend 10-12 pound fluro. The fluro will sink and mono floats so that will allow your crankbait to get deeper. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

12- 14 lb suffix crankin line. No other line will compare I promise!!!

Post Thanks / Like

12lb mono