Search Fishin.com

Thread: Shad at Tville

Post Thanks / Like

Shad at Tville

thinking about going catfishing tonight at Taylorsville and was wondering if the shad were up where you could catch them in a cast net before it gets dark?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shad at Tville

Did you find them? I was out with a buddy a week ago up there to go for cats, and normally a couple throws with the net, one if we were any good at it, would be more than enough. We saw a few, and normally there would be hundreds flipping around everywhere. We had back up bait and got 7 in a couple hours.
    Has the shad population been off, it was the first time out for me this year?.

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt go,was gonna make it with only about an hour of daylight and didnt want to risk not finding them quickly enough and not having any bait. Just fished Elkhorn creek after dark

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't find any shad out there today either. Was looking after we got done bass fishing because I was hoping to catfish tomorrow. No bait so guess I'll stick to bass fishing. We caught around 30 bass in a few hours so I guess that's the one positive.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I seem to have luck finding by leaving Settlers Trce, head toward dam, pass the dam, whn you get to the intersection, go to the left and follow that finger way back till it nearly ends. Late afternoon is the best back there.

2nd. Get that little Zebco bobber rod set up out with some night crawlers. 3-5 inch bluegills make great catfish bait, especailly if you bottom fish them hooked thru the tail, or downpole fish them a foot or 2 off the bottom when then are hooked thru the back. That was always my go to plan as a backup if the shad were sneaky.

Post Thanks / Like

Back out tonight, saw a few good balls of shad, but very few and the water was glassy for a while when we were out. Used the back up bait and never threw the net, had some small Blue dinks. Got off the water before the wind, rain, and hail.
    Thanks Bob, we have always gotten shad there too, but don't have the time, and HP to run there and jug in our usual spot.
    We wished we had shad, the jugs initially kept blowing onto shallow flats and we would get cleaned with no fish, in about 19-26 feet of water we marked a ton of fish about 10 ft down, but we weren't using shad.
    We were swimming and you could really feel the temp difference about four feet down, water clarity on main lake was way better than before.