Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpet cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

spike it

[QUOTE=voeller101;560270]On a related note, does anyone know of anything that will get spike it out of boat carpet? Had a little accident recently and, of course, no neutralizer! the spike it will fade away with sun exposer

Post Thanks / Like

Can you ask them for a MSDS ?

[QUOTE=adriancretired;560347]
    Quote Originally Posted by voeller101 View Post
    On a related note, does anyone know of anything that will get spike it out of boat carpet? Had a little accident recently and, of course, no neutralizer! the spike it will fade away with sun exposer
    If you can find out what they use to make the Spike it Paint you might be able to use some kind of paint thinner or naphtha on the carpet. but test it on a small area that's hidden to see if it take the color out of the carpet fibers. Paint are another animal. Especially oil based paints. Alcohol, Acetone, or Toluene or Xylene are commonly used to thin glues and paints. But they can have side effects on a boat carpet. They also make a product that's similar to "lighter Fluid" and it suppose to help remove ink and bubble gum from stuff. It's called "Goof Off" which will lift off dried latex paint pigments.

Vinegar is a weak acid and can be used to clean stuff. Baking Soda is a weak base and also can be used to clean things. But they may not be able to remove dried on oil based paint on a boat carpet.

The company may know what to use to remove the paint from your boat carpet. Try calling them and seeing what they say. They know what's in the paint and what type of thinner they used and they must report the materials used on the Material Safety Data Sheet by law.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Moveon;560348]
    Quote Originally Posted by adriancretired View Post

If you can find out what they use to make the Spike it Paint you might be able to use some kind of paint thinner or naphtha on the carpet. but test it on a small area that's hidden to see if it take the color out of the carpet fibers. Paint are another animal. Especially oil based paints. Alcohol, Acetone, or Toluene or Xylene are commonly used to thin glues and paints. But they can have side effects on a boat carpet. They also make a product that's similar to "lighter Fluid" and it suppose to help remove ink and bubble gum from stuff. It's called "Goof Off" which will lift off dried latex paint pigments.

Vinegar is a weak acid and can be used to clean stuff. Baking Soda is a weak base and also can be used to clean things. But they may not be able to remove dried on oil based paint on a boat carpet.

The company may know what to use to remove the paint from your boat carpet. Try calling them and seeing what they say. They know what's in the paint and what type of thinner they used and they must report the materials used on the Material Safety Data Sheet by law.
    Thanks! Don't know why I hadn't thought to contact the company!

Post Thanks / Like
    Spike it makes a bottle of neutralizer and it works good. If you ever get spike it on your fiberglass like I did. White fiberglass interior and purple spike it is a bad combo. I found that when using the spike it to also use a magic eraser bar on the gel coat and it works awesome. just pour the neutralizer on your carpet and it will take the stain out. as for just general cleaning of my boat carpet I use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar and use a water house to wash it out. I have always been told that a pressure washer hurts your carpet and can damage the glue adhesion. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the local self serve car wash.
    Pressure wash then pressure rinse.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a 2 step process:
    1. Sell carpeted boat
    2. Buy boat with vinyl decks 😊

What did work best was hitting a car wash coming right off the lake, and trailering home uncovered. On a warm day dry by the time home and ready to tarp.