Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

fishing etiquette

If you were sitting on a point or flat and tearing up the fish, and i pulled up next to you and started casting, you'd probably get pretty pissed right.
    So why is it OK when i'm trolling a piece of structure (hump, flat, etc) and catching fish, for you to run over and grab my spot when I'm making a turn around for another pass, after you sat across from us on another point watching for the past hour. This happened about 5 or 6 time's this past Sunday. So don't get pissed when i continue my path just like have been doing for the past hour or 2, and come right next to your Ranger!
    Needed to rant, David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fishing etiquette

sounds like a normal day (at cedar creek for sure)..

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. Yesterday some friends and I were down at the falls of the Ohio standing about knee deep in the water right next to the current. We started to really catch them in this one hole and 2 guys with a casting net went right around us out to a rock next to the hole and netted the whole spot. They walked away with about 10 or 12 decent fish. We were furious. We weren't keeping any of them, it was just for fun for us but it was the principal of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar experience out on the creek. My son and I were hammering smallies left and right when this guy http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/881f43cc.jpg waded right in front of us and spooked all of our fish. Had my son not been with me I would have cast my crankbait as close as possible to him just to prove a point. If he's going to act like we're not there then I was going to do the same. I was furious! BUT, with my 5 yr old there, there wasn't much I could do without putting my boy in an uncomfortable situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFish513 View Post
    I had a similar experience out on the creek. My son and I were hammering smallies left and right when this guy http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/881f43cc.jpg waded right in front of us and spooked all of our fish. Had my son not been with me I would have cast my crankbait as close as possible to him just to prove a point. If he's going to act like we're not there then I was going to do the same. I was furious! BUT, with my 5 yr old there, there wasn't much I could do without putting my boy in an uncomfortable situation.
    Kudos to you for just letting it go. I have a 5 year old boy as well and it would take everything I have to not yell at the guy, although it's not what you should do when you have a little boy to protect.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: fishing etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by JrBassin8r View Post
    I feel your pain. Yesterday some friends and I were down at the falls of the Ohio standing about knee deep in the water right next to the current. We started to really catch them in this one hole and 2 guys with a casting net went right around us out to a rock next to the hole and netted the whole spot. They walked away with about 10 or 12 decent fish. We were furious. We weren't keeping any of them, it was just for fun for us but it was the principal of it.

not sure what you were catching ...you didnt say, but if you were catching gamefish , mot only what the intruders did with the castnet was rude but it was extremely illegal....you cant castnet and keep gamefish .....wow what awesome sportsmen they are !

Post Thanks / Like

I have two little children myself. Funny how often they often will make us think more before we react in situations.

What is pretty funny is if my son or daughter innocently asks why a person did something they recognized as bad manners and the person overhears it. Funny watching their reaction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I have two little children myself. Funny how often they often will make us think more before we react in situations.

What is pretty funny is if my son or daughter innocently asks why a person did something they recognized as bad manners and the person overhears it. Funny watching their reaction.
    That's when I answer a bit loudly. "You see son, it's inconsiderate jerks like this that ruin fishing for everyone".

Post Thanks / Like

I had a guy pull up to the same bgill bed I was fishing, and drop anchor less than 5ft off my bow. I didnt say anything ; just put the minn kota through the bed to make a point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    That's when I answer a bit loudly. "You see son, it's inconsiderate jerks like this that ruin fishing for everyone".

LOL, yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

Somehow you would like to think that outdoorsman would be more polite. Sadly too often it seems like some fisherman can be just as inconsiderate as any other group of people you might run across. Thankfully there are also some genuinely nice people out there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

On a recent trip to Ky Lake I want to tell of a nice event with etiquette. There was a hump that Woody had found where we were catching alot of fish for 3 days straight. Well we got ready to leave and we decided to go fish there one more time. When we get to the hump there is a guy fishing the hump but he was crappie fishing. We trolled up with in talking distance to him and asked him if it was ok to fish this hump with him. Now this hump is probably 50yards long and 20 yards wide. We told him we were bass fishing and he said that was no problem. We proceded to catch a few fish and exchange a few notes with him, thanked him for letting us fish and left. This is how it should be done.

It doesn't always happen this way and I am sure Woody will chime in with a not so nice event that happened to us about a month ago with a local crappie guide. Lets just say if I can cast to the bank, and I am catching fish, do not troll between me and the bank. Go around the back of me or you might get an ear full and have your guide service bad mouthed to who ever I can tell it to.