Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speeding at Bluegrass Pit

Quote Originally Posted by basspro78 View Post
    When I fished the northen divisonal we were told that idle is when you engage your motor the first click when you first put it in forward is idle. Anything more and you would of been giving a ticket. Was to slow for me so I did not go where I had to idle. But that was the Wisconsin DNR idle rule.
    Exactly, speed doesn't matter. The moment you put that motor in gear you are going at idle speed. At least they weren't up on plane going 45 mph through the idle zone like some

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    Exactly, speed doesn't matter. The moment you put that motor in gear you are going at idle speed. At least they weren't up on plane going 45 mph through the idle zone like some
    Should have seen them out there this evening. The was only 4 boats including myself but 2 of them must have missed the signs. The first guy was nice enough yo only idle over my line between me and the bank while I fished out on a point before he got opened up the motor on his Jon boat. The othe guy I just got to watch from a distance jumping from spot to spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess those guys with the small gas motors don't think that they have to go at idle speed. Perhaps they think that the signs are only for those with the bigger motors? Or maybe they just don't care. I wish that they would just follow the rules like everyone else. What I fear most is a chain reaction. Someone out there will see them going faster than Idle speed and think that it's ok to do so. So then they increase their speed and soon you have more people motoring around at 10 mph or faster.

Sooner or later the CO's are going to start to give out tickets for going too fast in a no wake (idle speed only) zone.

I was driving down Kansas road the other week when I saw a boat going way too fast out on Otter Pit. He was on the North End of the Pit and didn't see me at first. He was in a big ski/fish boat. I estimate he was going about 15 to 20 mph and was almost all the way up on plane. When he noticed me looking at him with my binoculars he slowed back down to idle speed. It's tempting to go faster than idle speed especially if one thinks that nobody is around.

I think that overall most people obey the rules.

II
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ptbuck View Post
    Should have seen them out there this evening. The was only 4 boats including myself but 2 of them must have missed the signs. The first guy was nice enough yo only idle over my line between me and the bank while I fished out on a point before he got opened up the motor on his Jon boat. The othe guy I just got to watch from a distance jumping from spot to spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll tell you a funny story about the connection between Wisconsin's DNR and the Indiana DNR. The guy in charge of the IDNR's fish and wildlife had relatives living in Wisconsin. I went with him to both his grandparents houses after we both graduated from Purdue in 1976. He, I and Mike Fox of US Fish and Wildlife spent two days up in Eau Claire Wisconsin fishing for trout and walleyes.

When Mark got tired of working with IDNR he left to go to work for the NRA for a time before he returned back to IDNR. He's been there since 1977 when he started working at Glendale F&W area as a property manager.

So perhaps the IN idle rule could be simlar to the one in Wisconsin?

To me idle speed is the lowest speed that the engine will run. But on my boat I can adjust the idle speed screw to make the engine run faster or slower.

On my truck they manual says to set the rpm's to 800 for idle speed. But mine runs at 1000 rpm's right now. I have trouble starting the engine when it's cold outside due to the age of the engine so I've got the idle speed screw turned up a turn or two to make the engine idle faster. Actually the dealer's mechanic did that because he was the last one to work on the engine. He failed to check the vacuum hoses and some had leaks or cracks in them at the time he set the engine's idle speed screw. I later replaced all the broken vacuum hoses and now the engine runs a little faster.

I can do the same thing with my boat engine where the throttle cable attaches to the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea it isn't easy to change. sounds like you should back off the idle screw on your truck now that the vacuum leak has been fixed. a vacuum leak will make it run lean.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's ok for now. But when it gets cold the truck doesn't get enough gas to start right away. I need to check or change the fuel pump and the filter inside that pump. Then I'll back off the idle set screw a few turns and get the RPM down to where they should be.

I need to do the same thing on my boat too. It's hard to go less than 2.0 mph unless I'm going into a big wind. I'm trying to troll for fish and need to cut my speed. I may have to tie a bucket to the back of my boat to slow me down. I used a 5 gallon bucket with 1" holes drilled into the bottom of the bucket . That will slow you down. But it also can get in the way with reeling in the fish.

I hooked into a nice bass today at Bluegrass Pit and it jumped and go off the hooks. The other day they were hitting the baits much harder and were getting hooked on both treble hooks. They were snagged good and I landed about 8 bass. But this bass wasn't hooked very good and he got off about 15 ft from the boat. I had 50 ft of line out so I played him a while before he got off. I was going to release him anyway but I wanted to see how big it was and measure him or her. I know where she lives now. LOL I'll be back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Called the dnr last night to see if there was a CO in the area. Was fishing at Bluegrass and a boat full of Mexicans was running all over the north end of the lake. There were two adults and at least 8 kids in the old bass boat. I was told there was an officer near by and left my name/number but never saw anyone show up.

I may not have called if they hadn't already made me wait for 15 min at the ramp. When they finally got the boat off the trailer and pulled up to park the idiot stopped just off to the side of the ramp with the back of the trailer still blocking the top of the ramp. I had to yell at the guy to move after he started walkin to the boat. Then I had to wait on the ramp for another 5 minutes while all the kids got loaded in the boat right on the ramp instead of off to either side.
    Probably could have let all that slide too if while driving there I hadn't already seen 2 cars blocking the ramp at Bird Dog pit with 4-5 people in lawn chairs fishing right on the ramp. Even if these idiots were nice enough to move for someone it would have taken them forever to get all their lines in and move all the chairs, tackle boxes, coolers, etc then have to move both cars- then have to do it all again when you wanted to load up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Called the dnr last night to see if there was a CO in the area. Was fishing at Bluegrass and a boat full of Mexicans was running all over the north end of the lake. There were two adults and at least 8 kids in the old bass boat. I was told there was an officer near by and left my name/number but never saw anyone show up.

I may not have called if they hadn't already made me wait for 15 min at the ramp. When they finally got the boat off the trailer and pulled up to park the idiot stopped just off to the side of the ramp with the back of the trailer still blocking the top of the ramp. I had to yell at the guy to move after he started walkin to the boat. Then I had to wait on the ramp for another 5 minutes while all the kids got loaded in the boat right on the ramp instead of off to either side.
    Probably could have let all that slide too if while driving there I hadn't already seen 2 cars blocking the ramp at Bird Dog pit with 4-5 people in lawn chairs fishing right on the ramp. Even if these idiots were nice enough to move for someone it would have taken them forever to get all their lines in and move all the chairs, tackle boxes, coolers, etc then have to move both cars- then have to do it all again when you wanted to load up.
    Gotta love it...

Post Thanks / Like

Fires on boatramp

Lets not forget the lovely campfires these people burn on the boat ramps at Bluegrass . Many times at Ringneck , birddog , ect. Ive had to throw the leftover burnt wood out of way before I could launch the boat . What is it with certain people who dont care about anyone else ? Also seen a couple the other day swimming at the concrete ramp on Bluegrass . Whats next setting up there tents on the ramp ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The CO's need to police the F&W areas better IMHO. I realize that they can't be every where but this summer they are spending a lot of their time out on the Ohio River. They should patrol Bluegrass at least twice a day in the mornings and evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    Lets not forget the lovely campfires these people burn on the boat ramps at Bluegrass . Many times at Ringneck , birddog , ect. Ive had to throw the leftover burnt wood out of way before I could launch the boat . What is it with certain people who dont care about anyone else ? Also seen a couple the other day swimming at the concrete ramp on Bluegrass . Whats next setting up there tents on the ramp ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post

so that's where all that wood came from I saw yesterday at bird dog?? haha. I remember the days of going to bluegrass and running into a CO EVERY time, haven't seen one now in 2 years out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate that also, after pulling my boat out i pull as far to the main road as possible so other boats get in and out. but you have some people that are just rude, and will take there time, i have it down to a science 5 mins max.