Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluorocarbon problems

You have got to stretch your fluorocarbon to get better casting distance. I've stated here a bunch of times how beneficial it is not only helps in ease of use but money wise as well. Tie a swivel to a post - tie your line to it and walk out a good long cast distance..... and tug/stretch your line. You will notice almost immediately how limp it gets.

Vanish = BAD
    Vicious or Vicious Pro = BAD

InvizX or Red Label = Good
    Berkley 100% = Good (anything over 12 lbs and/or on a baitcaster not my spinning outfit)

IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vanish is bad

Yes, Berkley Vanish!!
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ls1chris View Post
    ...but casting distance was horrible .with my spinning setup a 6,9 ML veritas rod and shimano saros with Pline or Suffix pro mix casting was phenomenal.doing nothing else but using fluorocarbon i lost about 15-20+ ft a cast
    I don't think fluoro is a good choice on spinning reels, no matter what the brand is.

I use braid on my spinning reels, with a fluoro leader. Try that somethime and see what kind of casting distance you get...it's awesome! It's also pretty cheap too, as braid will last you at least two seasons of fishing, and you're only using about 6 ft of fluoro at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using XPS 12-14lbs with the polymer knot for years. I have never had an issue before. I rarely ever break a line on a hook set. I might have done so 2 or 3 times over the last 5 years. However those incidents where because I didn't retie after a good hang up. The thing about Flouro is you have to check for abrasions after hang ups.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I don't think fluoro is a good choice on spinning reels, no matter what the brand is.

I use braid on my spinning reels, with a fluoro leader. Try that somethime and see what kind of casting distance you get...it's awesome! It's also pretty cheap too, as braid will last you at least two seasons of fishing, and you're only using about 6 ft of fluoro at a time.
    All I use is mono and flourocarbon because I was told braid will cut a notch into your rod. How long of a leader do you make when using a flourocarbon leader?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post

This is what I do also, you can really set the hook with your finesse stuff this way also. Fluorocarbon on a spinning rod is a recipe for disaster. You have to use 6lbs test just to keep it from misbehaving and twisting violently. I use spiderwire invisabraid 20 lbs with a 10lbs seaguar red label leader, about 6-8 feet long. I use a double uni to tie them together. It also increases the sensitivity, you feel everything.

Post Thanks / Like

With any line/knot it is recommended to wet the line before cinching the knot. This is especially true for fluoro lines. And like several others have said, I like using the P-Line and the XPS. Tried a few others before, but once I started using these I have no reason to try any others.

Post Thanks / Like

All of it too me is flourocrap! Seems like an angler must use heavier flouro to get the same stength as good mono. This defeats the purpose. I fish good quality rods so sensitivity is not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    You have got to stretch your fluorocarbon to get better casting distance. I've stated here a bunch of times how beneficial it is not only helps in ease of use but money wise as well. Tie a swivel to a post - tie your line to it and walk out a good long cast distance..... and tug/stretch your line. You will notice almost immediately how limp it gets.

Vanish = BAD
    Vicious or Vicious Pro = BAD

InvizX or Red Label = Good
    Berkley 100% = Good (anything over 12 lbs and/or on a baitcaster not my spinning outfit)

IMHO
    I agree with stretching the floro, but I might add that when I spool this stuff on a spinning outfit I will soak it in hot water while spooling it on. This has proved beneficial for me anyway.
    Also love the Seagar lines. Ive had good luck with Vicious, but only for cranks, I love it for that.
    Definately stretch your line really well when your done spooling and every so often after that.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a shimano symetry 2500fj, it has washers you can add or subtract to handle different types of line. I RARELY have troubles with fluorocarbon on this spinning reel and I am a shakey head throwing nut! In fact I just bought another rod and reel set up and the shimano reel is now hanging on a shimano crucial drop shot rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Vanish is junk! I learned that years ago when I kept breaking off on fish. XPS Flouro and Trilene 100% Flouro are both hard to beat. I hear Seagar is right up there, as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    I use a shimano symetry 2500fj, it has washers you can add or subtract to handle different types of line. I RARELY have troubles with fluorocarbon on this spinning reel and I am a shakey head throwing nut! In fact I just bought another rod and reel set up and the shimano reel is now hanging on a shimano crucial drop shot rod.

That is a very cool feature of Shimano spinning reels. On many models you can adjust washers to make the line spool at a slight angle. They recommend that the spool be tapered upward for fluoro. It works and I also have liked what line condiitioners and slight stretching of fluoro do for the performance.

I have switched all my spinning outfits to braid with fluoro leader but I really prefer fluoro on my baitcasters except for a heavy cover pitching stick which I use the braid/fluoro combo or straight braid.