Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluorocarbon problems

So this weekend was my first time really using flourocarbon and it had its pros and cons. I was using Berkley vanish and it had amazing feel. I had a few bites that I wouldn't have felt if I had mono on but the line frayed really easy and broke three times when setting the hook. I bought another spool of seaguar flourocarbon and haven't spooled it on yet. Is this a common problem? I also had a bunch of backlashes for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluorocarbon problems

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    So this weekend was my first time really using flourocarbon and it had its pros and cons. I was using Berkley vanish and it had amazing feel. I had a few bites that I wouldn't have felt if I had mono on but the line frayed really easy and broke three times when setting the hook. I bought another spool of seaguar flourocarbon and haven't spooled it on yet. Is this a common problem? I also had a bunch of backlashes for some reason.

I noticed that the Vanish deteriorated faster. Maybe it's not as resistant to chemcials in the air as the others.

I use stren magnathin line these days in 6 lb test or 10 lb test.

I'm not that familar with all the new lines. For one reason I can't remember which line I put on which reel. There should be an easy way to mark the reel as to what type of line was installed on it and when it was installed. I tried using the stick tape that comes on the line's spool and hold the line onto the reel when it's new. But that won't stay on the reel very long as it tend to come off easily. Someone should invent a lable gun that can stick labels with tiny fonts onto the reels for this purpose.

I've tried several of the newer lines from braid to firewire. Vanish and Ironsilk have been used. Iron Silk is green in color (the one I bought) and it breaks easily after it's been on for a year or so. Only lasted me one fishing season from May to Nov basically.

The stren magnathin line seems to last for me.

I use to use Berkley trilene fishing line on my ultra light spinning reels but it had a lot of line memory problems. It would come on a arbor that's larger then the reels arbor and that created problems.

Post Thanks / Like

The vanish I have on there is only a month old. It's only been in the water twice. Maybe I just got a bad spool

Post Thanks / Like

Seaguar is the best out there. Be sure to tie an improved clinch knot.

Post Thanks / Like

Vanish *****. Lots of other brands out there that are good.

Post Thanks / Like

What are some good ones? Do all of the brands fray that easy?

Post Thanks / Like

XPS

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a lot of different fluorocarbon, vanish and vicious are the worst. I like the Seaguar and the XPS. Seaguar red label is the most cost efficient and what I use primarily on all my rods except topwater and spinning gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Vanish is junk XPS is the best

Post Thanks / Like

I figured the vicious was crap but I thought the vanish would be better. Thanks for the help I will give those brands a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    Berkley Vanish might be the absolute worst fluorocarbon on the market. had it spooled on my Revo SX and made me hate the reel. i would always backlash, have problems tying knots, or would break off my lure. switched it to some different fluoro and you can really tell a difference. if you are looking for something at the same price I would highly recommend Seaguar Red Label or P-Line Fluoroclear

Post Thanks / Like

Vanish is awful and I will never ever ever spool another rod with it...I've gone to all Seaguar Invizx and love it...Fluoro is one of those things where you kinda get what you pay for....Try the Invizx and you won't be disappointed