Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fly fishing newby

I just received a fly rod combo for my 40th bday. Have been out twice with it. Once to a spot on Elkhorn where I caught some nice bluegill. Next was a spot on Hickman creek where I hook a small pumkinseed, but it got off. The only flies I have are some poppers that came with my rod and reel.
    I will mainly be fishing for panfish and smallies. So I was wondering what other types of flies should I look into purchasing to use as well. Will probably be fishing Hickman Creek, Elkhorn and maybe some small farm ponds and lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly fishing newby

So many flies, so little time. Or something like that. I'm an avid tier so I'm always trying something new. But it always seems my go to flies are some sort of bugger style streamer, or mini closer, or hair streamer.

Post Thanks / Like

wolly buggers never fail... try Black to start, but white and bright seem to be working well this year as well...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I have another question. I like to backpack as much as I like fishing. Some of the places I backpack are at Cave Run Lake and Red River Gorge.
    Has anyone fished in the Gorge and if so, where? I sometimes like to go down by Rockbridge, and was wondering what the fishing was like along Swift Camp Creek in that area?