Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

First Ely Trip - Farm Lake

Will be in July which, in looking over old threads, apparently is not the best time to go to the boundary waters for fishing...still I am going and hope to catch a few fish while there.

Does anyone have any Farm Lake fishing stories? I bet that onemorecast and Geo have been there but I would welcome input from anyone who wants to weigh in.

How would you fish Farm Lake in July?

J

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Ely Trip - Farm Lake

Ive been there during that time. We fished with spinnerbaits and crankbaits for smallies. I flyfish so i took some fly gear as well. Caught some very nice fish, but not as many as i thought. Although the quality was nice. Saw tons of muskies, wish i had taken muskie gear. Gonna pull out my old maps and see where we did well and didnt. We did a seven day trip that was a blast. Even though fishing wasnt fanatastic, still one of my fav vacations and ive been all over the world. Watch out for insects, i recall getting lit up.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add that we stayed/started our adventure with tom&woods. But it was over 15 yrs ago and i think they have changed owners since.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Ddot, when you say spinnerbaits do you mean the inline kind or the double bladed spinner baits?

Post Thanks / Like

Geo has probably been there and he can probably help you out. He is up there right now and should be back Saturday night and will probably post on here then or Sunday.

edited yo add: Next Saturday or Sunday. I believe they were suppose to enter the park this morning.

onemorecast56 Guest

I stayed on Farm for 5 yrs while doing carpet work for the resort owners for stays. Farm isn`t that great,,White Iron and garden are better places to fish. Get ahold of me and I can save you alot of time looking. I`ve fished those lakes hard and know them like the back of my hand. But Farm,White Iron and Garden are all connected by a river. If you don`t know where the shollow parts are you`ll hurt something.I got another little lake I`d want you to try that is close that is full of Big smallies and alot of 8-12 lb walleye

Post Thanks / Like
    I know farm lake well. We always seemed to do well with walleyes there and white iron and garden for smallies. As you enter farm lake there is a very small island on your left. Has weeds on the backside of it and come up from 15 feet to five if I remember correctly. I pulled a 14lb walleye out of there in 98. Also there is a nice reef further on up the lake that used to hold a lot of walleyes. Hard to give an exact location but if you look at the far shoreline and about halfway between moose track and the bed and breakfast would be a landmark to start. Don't forget the river mouth dumping into white iron!!!!!!! Onemorecast. I am jealous you got to stay in such a beautiful area for 5 years

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, not a lot to report on but here it is.

I went with a party of 9...2 couples two teenagers and three 7 and under.

My earlier post mentioned fishing Farm lake and its surrounding lakes. However, as it turned out Farm Lake was actually just our entry point into the BWCA. We started on Farm Tuesday morning and paddled through some of the North Kiwishiwi river to Clear Lake and that is where we made camp. It was a base camp so where ever we went during the day we returned to clear lake to sleep.

It's a pretty good haul from Farm to Clear so most of that day was spent paddling and portaging. We did spend a few minutes wetting a line on the N Kiwishiwi and looking back I wish we had fished that much more thoroughly as we picked up a smallie and northern in about 10 minutes of fishing. But onward we went wanting to get that great campsite that the outfitter told us about.

Well we get to Clear lake in the afternoon and find the first three camp sites we go to already occupied including the aforementioned '5 star' camp. Luckily the last camp site on the lake is open and we set up camp.

Hello Mosquitos.

While on the water the skeeters were not bad but once we made land they introduced themselves and let us know that for the next few days we belonged to them.

On Wednesday we set out to fish Clear lake and we covered it pretty thoroughly as it is not a very large lake. We had very modest success with a few small smallies with no wallies and no northern.

That evening i fished from the bank and caught a few more smallies, couple of gills and a small perch.

The next morning before heading back out on the water I chucked a 5 inch smally chaser swimbait and got the biggest fish of the trip to bite. A decent sized northern that flopped off at the bank. I was really looking forward to cleaning a northern and trying my hand at removing the y bones. I had made sure that I viewed several youtubes on how to do that but alas never got the opportunity.

We ventured beyond our a little comfortable Clear Lake later that day and made our way to the South Kiwishiwi. This is where we had the best flury of activity on the trip as we boated a few more smallies. For the smallies we practiced catch and release and were saving our knives for the elusive walleye and the bony northern. Unfortunately thunder started to roll in and we headed back to camp.

Friday we returned to the outfitter and thus ended my first forray into the BWCA.

I guess it was an OK first timer Boundary Waters adventure if I were to do again I would do some things differently but even without any fishing success to speak of it was a good experience overall.

onemorecast56 Guest
    I was wondering how you did. Sorry you didn`t do that good. Next time give me a call I know a killer lake you can camp on that would be great for the kids and fishing. big smallies,northerns and huge walleye..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks onemore, I'm not disappointed as it was a good intro into the BW...but if I do end up with plans to go there again I will hit you up for some advice.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say this about Ely, MN. I don't think a visit there would be complete without a stop at the Stoney Ridge Resort for one of their hamburgers.

Post Thanks / Like

Farm/White Iron Lake

Staying on Farm Lake this coming opener. Wondering if anyone has any early spots a guy could try. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.