Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio River bank fishing - advice sought

I might have the opportunity this summer to do some fishing from some private property in Prospect, on the Ohio River. I don’t have a boat, so access to a generally unfished piece of property with lots of shoreline is intriguing me.

But I’m also a novice. I love to fish, but I don’t get the chance to get out often at all, so I’d appreciate some advice.

This shoreline is a long stretch of riprap near a man-made marina inlet. I’ll probably try fishing for anything there. I know fishing can be great at the mouths of creeks and down around the Falls, but what about in this straight, middle stretch of river? There aren’t many features; just riprap and probably submerged trees and driftwood. During the summer, am I likely to find all manner of catfish, bass, panfish?

I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions! Thanks.
    Last edited by KentuckyBristle; 06-06-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: messy stuff

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Ohio River bank fishing - advice sought

I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing the area. Just a thought. What if you went to that area, stood aout where you might want to fish, and then posted a couple pictures showing a shot looking up the river with the shoreline showing, and one down the river. I think most us could give better thoughts seeing the terrain. Another thought, maybe you could post a little bit more precise area description, like a nearby address, because then we could google the address, then do a satelite view to get a better view of the area. Are we talking Transylvania Beech area? No intent to pry, it's just the method can be tied to the terrain.

To explore the area, a thought, start with a slip bobber rig and maybe some night crawlers. I'd start with the rig set to say 4 feet deep, and cast out to where ever you see sunken structure, or bits of trees out of the water. I'd cast upriver and let it flow with the current down to the structure and then some distance passed it. You can work the banks down stream in the same manner, by casting out say 8-10 feet, then let out line so the bobber rig flats down the river slowly and parrallels the bank. Experiment with that method adjusting rig depth.

Do you have any idea, from other locals, what the bottom is like? Is it a flat, is it rock strewn, does it drop off steep from the bank? Those are things that help you decide if bottom fishing might work. Example, If the rip rap bank drops steeply to the water line but then, say 20 feet out, meets with a fairly flat bottom, then I'd go with a bottom fishing rig with a 2 ounce sinker, and load it up with 3 or 4 night crawlers, or chicken/chicken livers, and I'd cast out about 40 feet, at about a 45 degree angle from the bank, towards down stream.

Last, does any friendly neighbor have a boat dock there? If so, definitely a bottom rig, cast down stream from a dock and slightly angled out toward the center of the river. Used to do that in the Utica area from a dock a Marine Builders. Hit or miss, some nights good, some slow.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish the river much at all but my dad has always told me that if you find a transition in the bank on the river fish it because there will more than likely be fish on it. I know when I fish the rip rap at the lakes I fish I can usually manage a couple bass off of it every time. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Hurrican Bob. Here are some bird's eye views from the internet; I hope this helps.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Prospect1.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Prospect2.jpg

No boat docks in the area. I actually don't have permission to fish there yet, but I'm about to do some work for one of the property owners, and he sounds like a really nice guy, so I have hopes.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

In the second picture, bottom left, where that tree sticks out and creates a current barrier. I'd throw a bottom rig out on the down stream side just far enough that its behiond that structure, and about 10 feet back from it. Looks like a catchfish haven in there.

Same with the biger downed tree at the top right of the picture.

I'd also do some expeimenting with a bobber rig there. Cast upstream and float down to it, and then walk down stream from it, and cast up behind the current break it creates.

Good luck, looks like a great area to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like some good fishing around any trees that have fallen into the water but do use a big flavor and please wear a vest those rocks are slick and deadly..
    One of the things i have all ways like about fishing the river is you just don't know what is on the end of the line until you get it up to the bank..
    Thanks and tight lines

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a outside bend in the river. If so then it might have deep water to the edge of riprap. You are on a gold mind if so. It will be undercut, and that is where the hogs live. Live bait and skip jack and hold on. Find a buddy with a boat and check it out if you need to.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I really appreciate everyone's comments, especially:
    Quote Originally Posted by olgreenboat View Post
    looks like some good fishing around any trees that have fallen into the water but do use a big flavor and please wear a vest those rocks are slick and deadly..
    ...because I'm not sure I would have seriously considered it, but really, that's a good thought, and if I end up fishing there I'll probably do that! I'd rather not end up on the local news described with the phrase "...not yet identified."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fished from the bank for years. Several things I learned and saw results immediately:
    1- bypass all the chicken liver, stink baits, and other gimmicks. The best bait hands down is bluegill/shad/skipjack. I like to alternate live bait / cut bait. For example pole 1 live bait, pole 2 cut, pole 3 live, pole 4 cut etc..... Also throw each pole out in 10-20 foot intervals (this will provide a better scent trail) cast pole 1 10 feet from bank, pole 2 20 feet, pole 3 30 feet and so on.
    2- Heavy braided line, you would hate to loose a monster, and if you were to get hung up you would have a better chance of getting your rig back.
    3- Heavy sinker at least 4/5 oz I use a 6 oz.
    4- Circle Hooks (I use a 8/0 Gamakatsu)
    5- Get some rood holders or forked tree limbs
    6- tip your poles with a bell
    7- a fire pit, radio of some sorts, comfy chair, cooler full of refreshments, snacks.

Worst case scenario you'll catch a good buzz!

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on skipping the chicken liver and stink baits. Bluegill and shad work well, but this may work even better:

Get some skinless chicken breasts and cut them up to the desired size of the bait you want to use.
    Get a box of strawberry jello.
    Get a bottle of the cheapest rock-gut whiskey you can buy.
    Per the instructions on the jello box, mix the chicken with the jello and water, but subtract about 1/2-3/4 cup of water from what the jello calls for, and substitute the whiskey for the water you subtracted from the mix. Make this up the day before you fish so the chicken soaks up the jello and whiskey really well.

Catfish of all kinds just love this bait, and they can smell and taste it from a long ways off. If you decide to give it a try, please let me know how you do, but I can already guess you won't be dissapointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    +1 on skipping the chicken liver and stink baits. Bluegill and shad work well, but this may work even better:

Get some skinless chicken breasts and cut them up to the desired size of the bait you want to use.
    Get a box of strawberry jello.
    Get a bottle of the cheapest rock-gut whiskey you can buy.
    Per the instructions on the jello box, mix the chicken with the jello and water, but subtract about 1/2-3/4 cup of water from what the jello calls for, and substitute the whiskey for the water you subtracted from the mix. Make this up the day before you fish so the chicken soaks up the jello and whiskey really well.

Catfish of all kinds just love this bait, and they can smell and taste it from a long ways off. If you decide to give it a try, please let me know how you do, but I can already guess you won't be dissapointed.
    Thanks! And that sounds like it might also be really good on the grill...perhaps with a little cayenne...