Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky lake advice

Going on first trip ever to Kentucky Lake next week. Will be bringing the whole family for a vacation and staying in the Malcolm Creek area. This time of year are there any fish being caught without having to go beyond the mouth and into the main lake? When I have my two young children with me, I probably will not want to go out much on the main lake, but I would still love for them to experience the fun of catching some fish. So far since we got our new boat this spring "daddy" hasn't done too well finding fish for them.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I guess not much strategy for fishing in the bays of the creeks this time of year. Hopefully I can get them at least a few panfish when I take them out. I figure I will get up early and try and do my fishing in the mornings.

Anyone have any opinions on things in the area not to miss, that we should take the children to see or do? I thought touring the dam would be fun, and I read where in the LBL you can drive around and see Bison. Anything else that is fun for young children?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Bison/ Elk prairie is great for the family. Go early in the morning or late in the evening to see more Bison and Elk. The Nature Center at LBL is also good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much, I would have likely gone in the afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Golden Pond just down from Bison/Elk is neat. Miss Patties Settlement has miniature golf and is pretty at night. For fishing - right across from Big Bear resort is the boyscout camp and is great for panfish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    Golden Pond just down from Bison/Elk is neat. Miss Patties Settlement has miniature golf and is pretty at night. For fishing - right across from Big Bear resort is the boyscout camp and is great for panfish.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heading out in the morning, anyone know if any white bass are currently in the jumps on Kentucky lake? If so is there a time and depth that is best to be looking?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Maggies Jungle Golf. It's putt putting and they have a "jungle" run where they have camel, ostriches, emus, peacocks, etc. They shut the jungle run down before dark, I believe. Belew's also has some good burgers at Aurora. There's also the Calvert City drive in. I'm not sure what movies are showing, but they have some awesome burgers. Depending on when you get down here, they're having the final weigh-in tomorrow on the FLW Tour touney at 4. If you have bikes, there are some good mountain bike trails in LBL. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the fishing, I haven't been able to get out on the water much this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the vacation was a success. My wife really enjoyed it, the kids had a blast, and daddy caught some nice fish

Thanks for all the tips, there really is a lot to do in the area for children.

I had some great days fishing, my biggest was a 4 lb LM, but caught a lot between 1-2 lbs. Had a real blast. My best morning though was when my eight year old son wanted to get up early and go out on the boat with me. He has been working on his casting with lures and this was the first time he sat in one of the chairs and casted all by himself while I was in another chair. I only caught one that morning, but he had five take his lure. He lost a real big one when it got near the boat, but it was real exciting for him and good experience fighting a nice fish. He landed two small ones, lost total of three. He is just learning the feel of not horsing them while at the same time not giving them too much slack.

Kentucky Lake now is easily my favorite lake in the area to fish, I just wish it was closer so I could easily go for just the day. I might have to make a few solo one night stays from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Well the vacation was a success. My wife really enjoyed it, the kids had a blast, and daddy caught some nice fish

Thanks for all the tips, there really is a lot to do in the area for children.

I had some great days fishing, my biggest was a 4 lb LM, but caught a lot between 1-2 lbs. Had a real blast. My best morning though was when my eight year old son wanted to get up early and go out on the boat with me. He has been working on his casting with lures and this was the first time he sat in one of the chairs and casted all by himself while I was in another chair. I only caught one that morning, but he had five take his lure. He lost a real big one when it got near the boat, but it was real exciting for him and good experience fighting a nice fish. He landed two small ones, lost total of three. He is just learning the feel of not horsing them while at the same time not giving them too much slack.

Kentucky Lake now is easily my favorite lake in the area to fish, I just wish it was closer so I could easily go for just the day. I might have to make a few solo one night stays from time to time.
    EXCELLENT.