Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Otter creek (on ft knox)

Went and checked out the creek today. Nice and coo. What baits are the fish biting on this time of the year? Thinking inline spinners and white curly tail grubs with maybe some crawfish colored crankbaits. Sound good? What color spinners do you think will work?

Post Thanks / Like
    For smallmouth curly tail grubs are always a good choice. I have more success with black because I think it imitates the color of a hellgramite. When MHall and I were there about a month ago I had some luck nose hooking a Super Fluke Jr., casting it upstream and jerking it through those riffles. I would also carry some tubes and small creature baits, as well as some type of surface lure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always done good throwing a rebel craw. That caught everything in that creek besides a catfish

Post Thanks / Like
    Started off with white rooster tail. Caught 3 trout on those. Tried a crawfish crankbait with zero result. Had one good one on a small lipless cranbait but it came off. Then switch to small 2 inch white curly tail grub. Smashed smallies and bluegill on those. Also caught a bunch of bluegills and rockbass on red tube with chartrouse tails. Kept all the trout and keeper gills. Let
    all the smallmouths go. Saw a 15inch+ largemouth but couldnt get him to bite. Saw another large drum i think. But he wouldnt bite either. Bigget smallie was probably 12 inches. Smallest was only 3 inches lol. Had a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    How many deep pools are on otter creek? Ive only found the one about 400m downstream from camp carlson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikSmith View Post
    Started off with white rooster tail. Caught 3 trout on those. Tried a crawfish crankbait with zero result. Had one good one on a small lipless cranbait but it came off. Then switch to small 2 inch white curly tail grub. Smashed smallies and bluegill on those. Also caught a bunch of bluegills and rockbass on red tube with chartrouse tails. Kept all the trout and keeper gills. Let
    all the smallmouths go. Saw a 15inch+ largemouth but couldnt get him to bite. Saw another large drum i think. But he wouldnt bite either. Bigget smallie was probably 12 inches. Smallest was only 3 inches lol. Had a blast.
    So do you guys just throw the grub out and just slow roll it or work it on the bottom?

Post Thanks / Like
    ErikSmith, inside Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area there are several deeper holes, especially when you get down stream from the Blue Hole.

FFreak, I usually cast up into the riffles and let the grub bounce on the bottom as it drifts downstream. You need a reel with a little faster gear ration to be able to keep up with the lure ion that fast current. Also swimming it up stream will work at times, but I don't have as much success as I do casting into the current.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    ErikSmith, inside Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area there are several deeper holes, especially when you get down stream from the Blue Hole.

FFreak, I usually cast up into the riffles and let the grub bounce on the bottom as it drifts downstream. You need a reel with a little faster gear ration to be able to keep up with the lure ion that fast current. Also swimming it up stream will work at times, but I don't have as much success as I do casting into the current.
    Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    So do you guys just throw the grub out and just slow roll it or work it on the bottom?
    Both. Most panfish were caught bouning it along the bottom. Most smallies were caught slow retrieval. If u can find big rock ledges or big rock crevices, u will find the fish.