Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass fishing rod/reel setup

I'm looking to start creating a rod/reel collection for bass fishing. I don't have the money to buy them all at once so I'm wondering what the best place to start would be as far as a reel and size of rod? Most the fishing I do is either cranking, soft plastics, shakey head, and on occasion throw a jig. I really prefer baitcasters to spinning reels. What would you all suggest? My budget is $100-200 unless that won't cut it for a quality set up.

Thanks in advance,
    Nate

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough question with many "right" answers. Different set-ups for different types of fishing and everyone seems to have their favorites. I started out (due to a tip from a musky guide) using left-handed baitcasters( eventhough I'm a righty) and it is the best I ever received.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a 7' M Veritas rod and a Revo SX in 6.4:1, great all around set up. Can be had for 230$ on tacklewarehouse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    Tough question with many "right" answers. Different set-ups for different types of fishing and everyone seems to have their favorites. I started out (due to a tip from a musky guide) using left-handed baitcasters( eventhough I'm a righty) and it is the best I ever received.
    All i use is LH & i'm a righty too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    All i use is LH & i'm a righty too
    Ditto, people haze me all the time about it haha. Im a big fan of st croix rods, and i love shimano reels, just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant go wrong with an abu garcia veritas heavy action seven footer mine is paired with a quantum metrix 7:0:1 ratio reel from gander mtn all in all $165 for the whole set up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bplgocards View Post
    Get a 7' M Veritas rod and a Revo SX in 6.4:1, great all around set up. Can be had for 230$ on tacklewarehouse.
    I have this same setup with a MH rod and a H rod. Great setup. I use all LH reels as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would highly recomend a shimano curado paid with a 7' shimano crucial mh with a fast tip for jigs and for cranking same shimano citica with a shimano crucial crankbait rod (tc4).

Post Thanks / Like
    i would definitely go with a shimano for the reel. a citica, curado, or chronarch are all great choices but keep in mind the higher the price the better it usually is. the chronarchs are awesome reels. as far as the rod goes if you cant get a good rod for under $100 you are getting screwed. i have a BPS carbonlite and a falcon bucoo. both are great rods with the falcon being a little more sensitive. also it carries a 5 year warranty. as many good reviews that ive heard about the veritas im sure you cant go wrong there either, just dont downgrade to the vendetta because it is terrible. good luck deciding

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies! My current set up is pretty cheap. It's a Quantum Escalade baitcaster with a 6'6" Medium lightning rod. I'm leaning toward the Veritas rod, not exactly sure what specifics I will get yet. Then as for the reel, I have heard of the revo and Curado before so possibly one of them. What about the BPS reels? Are they junk or actually decent equipment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pro qualifiers and Johnny Morris reels are not junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a cheaper set up I have 2 of the Pinnacle reels sold at Wal-Mart matched with the Field and Stream rods sold at Dicks Sporting Goods. The reels cost $60 and the rods cost $80. Pinnacle makes reels for Bass Pro and are just rebranded. I understand Shimano makes the Field and Stream rods. I haven't had any problems from the reels or the rods. The rods are very light and seem to be strong. I caught a 6-14 on the cranking rod last spring and it brought it in with no problem. I keep looking at Curados and I've used one but I figure I can get 2 reels for the price of one with the Pinnacles. I have a Shimano Cumara I use for jig fishing and it's a great rod but the Field and Stream rod does a great job for a lot less money. With 2 teenage daughters going into braces, I have to make my money stretch!