Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

100 Plus Pound Spoonbill Catfish caught on Cumberland River

Here is a photo that was went in of the spoonbill caught on the Cumberland River

Post Thanks / Like
    wow what a fish!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a monster

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully they Checked it properly and had it certified since it's so close to the Ky record and way over the Tennessee record. It's a big fish for sure but if no one took the time to do this then I call bs. Just saying....

Ky Trophy Fish Guest
    Call it what you want ,I have caught a bunch of 70-80- lbers in 19 70's and 80's.Those fish were weighed on scales.This fish was much larger any of those fish.Length was 7.5 ft from nose to tail with 42 inch girth.Regs on Cumberland River below Lake Cumberland have changed since then.NO SNAGGING is allowed now.Any fish foul hooked has to be released.This fish was hooked in tail with a swim bait while striper fishing,therefore had to be released immediately.No way to weigh fish without taking out of river, to find scales large enough to weigh it.That fish is ???? years old and deserves to be released to raise more little ones.
    Likes Moveon, gofishdave liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that explains why they didn't get it certified. I was thinking where is all the info on it being certified??? The text with the picture implied how the Cumberland river was "kicking some serious fish rear end right now" that made me think it was caught like I'm guessing the stipers were caught and not snagged. No sweat on my end.....it's just how many times do we get fish stories that are not actually true??? That's where I was coming from. I bet that was one heck of a fight being caught in the tail!
    I love to see them released as well.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Ky Trophy Fish Guest
    Took close to an hour to bring to boat on 20 lb line.Reel had a slight knock inside when it was over.Wished we could have brought it in for actual weight,but rules are rules.Plus,hate to kill a big fish like her.Good thing about river-cold,well oxygenated water help for a good release.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Article in Evansville Courier and Press about Spoon Poaching

A guy in English IN was sent to Prision for 3 years after he was caught red-handed poaching spoonbill catfish by an undercover USF&W Conservation Officer. Be careful who you hire to illegally fish with you.

Spoonbills have been around for the last 400 million years but are on the decline due to overfishing with nets and people not following the IDNR and KF&W rules. This guy was fishing in areas that are prohibited at the mouth of creeks where the fish tend to congregate. These areas are offlimit to fishermen. And the guy lied on his application to obtain a commerical KY fishing licence when he didn't really live in KY. He is from English, IN Not KY.

Post Thanks / Like

If i could post a pic

I have a pic of pretty nice one that came mid lake on cumberland several years ago. It was actually struggling on top & i knew it was dying so i scooped it up into my h-56 xpress. It took 2 of us to get it into the boat. Tip of bill to end of tail was longer then the short bed chevy it's sitting on. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CumberlandPaddlefish2.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	18360