Search Fishin.com

Thread: Bank fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Bank fishing

My girlfriend and I fish from banks, as we have no boat at this time. We have been doing fairly well catching catfish. We live in Bowling Green and have found that Three Springs Lake is a pretty good place for catfish, but they are almost exclusively 1-2 lbs. We would like to catch some bigger ones, but have had no luck fishing Barren River, BRL, Shanty Hollow Lake or any other spot we've tried. One of the biggest problems is access. We need easy access. Any advice/tips would be GREATLY appreciated!
    We mostly use Cats Blood (dough) and chicken livers for bait. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen some nice size cats come out of the water at the State Park boat ramp area on Barren River Lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBigDog View Post
    My girlfriend and I fish from banks, as we have no boat at this time. We have been doing fairly well catching catfish. We live in Bowling Green and have found that Three Springs Lake is a pretty good place for catfish, but they are almost exclusively 1-2 lbs. We would like to catch some bigger ones, but have had no luck fishing Barren River, BRL, Shanty Hollow Lake or any other spot we've tried. One of the biggest problems is access. We need easy access. Any advice/tips would be GREATLY appreciated!
    We mostly use Cats Blood (dough) and chicken livers for bait. Thanks.
    Flatheads is your answer to large catfish around here. Not much in the way of blues. Start fishing up around Brown's Ford on BRL with a bluegill about 4-6 inches long hooked behind the dorsal fin. Fish that on bottom out near some laydowns and logs.

You could also try that same set-up on green river. There ought to be some decent flatheads there and maybe even hang a muskie.

Your bait precludes you to catching either channels or blues. And since there isn't much in the way of blues to speak of you really only have a chance at channels and they just don't get as big as blue or flatheads.

Try above Lock 5 on green or right below it. Also may try at Woodbury below the old dam.