Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great creek fishing

The creek I fish has been excellent this year. There are more and bigger fish than I've seen in 20 years of fishing the creek. Not only are there good numbers of 12-17 inch smallies, but I've seen good numbers of 4-10 inchers too, so the fishing should remain good the next few years. Must have been several good spawns in a row. More 8-10 inch redeyes (rockbass) than I've seen in years as well.

I'm wondering if other creeks are doing good too, so I'd like to hear from some other creek fishermen. I wonder if this is a wide spread thing due to some favorable conditions or if something is just better in this creek.

I'm not going to mention the creek, small waters are just too prone to over-fishing and imo they can't handle a lot of fishing pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, Elkhorn is doing fine as a smallmouth fishery but I don't catch near as many redeye as I used to. I think catfish have out-competed the redeye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since i'm new too the creek fishing i don't know but my last trip up the creek i caught a ton of fish.Could be i just picked a good day.But i can say its been alot more fun than any lake i fished..

Post Thanks / Like
    Creek fishing had been good for me this year. I have only fished tygart and elkhorn but the smallies have been really nice.

Nicest smallie I caught at Elkhorn Saturday
    http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...1/02aee648.jpg
    Biggest smallie so far this year from tygart
    http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...1/55e02bc3.jpg
    Heres one my buddy caught Saturday at elkhorn
    http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...1/d2c99a36.jpg
    Biggest Rock bass this year so far
    http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...1/36e2448c.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    you must be talking about Little Harrods Creek

Post Thanks / Like
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember as a kid going to a certain creek and catching the crap outta fish. I went there less and less as I continued growing and the quality and quantity was gone. Two years ago I went early spring and cought the hell out of Saguar, that was a blast. Last year I went and the creek was full of gar, every hole I went to. You couldn't buy a bite a year ago. I've been a few times this year and have yet to see any gar. I've seen and caught quite a few fish. Some of decent size. I have yet to keep a fish out of it yet. I think next year it will be spot on. I can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish a small creek in mid-west Ohio where I grew up and it's loaded with SM. Caught dozens of 12-14 inch SM this past Saturday and they were fighters! Even the dinks hit like 20" fish! Of the small tournament we had on the river, the largest SM this past weekend was 18 3/4 inches long. Nice healthy fish. Though we were fishing for bass, we caught a catfish, crappie, and a few saugeye as well. Very fun to fish the creeks up there! What I like most about that club/tournament is that everything is catch, measure, and immediate release - points are calculated via length, not weight so there's no weigh in and the survival rate is much higher.