Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Selling mounts without the proper license is illegal. The main reason for this is to deter or to not promote poaching. We are already way up on the list in the US on poaching related crimes. Now if all the sudden any Tom, Joe or Harry can sell mounts, they would be poaching deer and other critters at a more alarming rate then they are now.

Poaching on the property I control and oversee for Deer is already terrible, if these Nimrod's could sell mounts for a profit it would be complete chaos...

JM2 CENTS
    I never thought of it that way. I just thought it was an old, outdated law......but maybe you're right. BUT, it seems like a LOT of crap to go through to get a poached deerhead. I don't know what the prices were at the antique shop, but I BET they were selling them for less than it would cost to get a mount made today.

Unless the taxidermist was the one poaching, I don't there there would be ANY money in it.......just saying.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like these people unknowingly broke a law. That's unfortunate, but to me the most unfortunate part of the whole thing is how this was handled ini such a heavy handed manner.

What's wrong with law enforcement being civil and having some empathy for these people. They should have told them first and given them time to comply with the law. I'm sure they would want the same treatment if they were the ones in error.

Law enforcement as a whole in my opinion has forgotten who they work for. They are civil servants, and they work for us. I've been a civil servant my entire adult life...and you can bet I know who I work for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jastew View Post
    It looks like these people unknowingly broke a law. That's unfortunate, but to me the most unfortunate part of the whole thing is how this was handled ini such a heavy handed manner.

What's wrong with law enforcement being civil and having some empathy for these people. They should have told them first and given them time to comply with the law. I'm sure they would want the same treatment if they were the ones in error.

Law enforcement as a whole in my opinion has forgotten who they work for. They are civil servants, and they work for us. I've been a civil servant my entire adult life...and you can bet I know who I work for.

Exactly how I feel. The law isn't absolute, there is room for discretion when cooler heads have a chance to look this over. Now if it was found out that these folks knew or were connected to some illegal activity (I dont know but it doesn't sound like they were) then nail them. Just seems like they made a mistake. Yes ignorance is no excuse and if thats the stand then it's an expensive lesson.

Could be a great PR move for the law men in this case by bringing this out in the open as a public awareness warning. JMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Exactly how I feel. The law isn't absolute, there is room for discretion when cooler heads have a chance to look this over. Now if it was found out that these folks knew or were connected to some illegal activity (I dont know but it doesn't sound like they were) then nail them. Just seems like they made a mistake. Yes ignorance is no excuse and if thats the stand then it's an expensive lesson.

Could be a great PR move for the law men in this case by bringing this out in the open as a public awareness warning. JMO
    I'm surprised they didn't kick the door in, and shoot every last one of them.

AND we wonder why law enforcement get such a bad rap. I now a lot of police officers, and I KNOW they have a serious hard job, especially when dealing with REAL CRIME.

BUT this doesn't fit the bill if you ask me.

This is just like my post a few weeks ago about the EPA kicking in a guys door for questioning the regional EPA director..........

SCARY STUFF.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    The key word is "protected," not "endangered."

Completely remove the word "endangered" from any of this discussion as it does not apply at all.

All species of fish and animals in KY are protected by the KDFWR. KDFWR's job is to protect all fish and animals.

The only reason we get to catch or kill any fish or animals is because KDFWR allows us to.

These folks with the shop are guilty. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    The key word is "protected," not "endangered."

Completely remove the word "endangered" from any of this discussion as it does not apply at all.

All species of fish and animals in KY are protected by the KDFWR. KDFWR's job is to protect all fish and animals.

The only reason we get to catch or kill any fish or animals is because KDFWR allows us to.

These folks with the shop are guilty. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

the kdfwr "REGULATES" and OVERSEES fish, wildlife game and non-game species in the state of kentucky.....
    you, me and everybody that purchases hunting and fishing licenses, stamps and tags pay their salary....they are public servants.....they dont ALLOW us to catch or kill anything.....they ensure the limits set forth by LAWMAKERS , who by the way also work for us , are observed and followed.

additionally, i believe the word "endangered" has already been removed in an earlier post......i think it was worded "correction noted"

i agree they broke the letter of the law.....but i disagree with the "scorched earth" policy that seems to be enforced on the folks......UNLESS as i stated before there is MORE to this story???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

who

Who would even want too buy them or where do you even find so many for sale?I'll never sell any of my mounts there for me too show off.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you let these guys go, then you have to let people who poach sell their antlers as well....You can talk all you want about how this wouldn't increase poaching in both fish and wildlife but it would....It seems like a lot of work to make a few bucks, but so does crawling up under somebodys car in a large parking lot with a sawzall and cutting their catalytic converter off in broad daylight, but people do it everyday....Anytime theres a dollar to be made without having to actually hold a job, there are criminals out there that will jump all over it...You can't let one guy go because he was ignorant of the law, then bust another guys balls because he was poaching, when they were trying to make money by doing the exact same thing

Put a serious stop to all this crap and quit slapping people on the wrist and you might make a little headway in all the illegal activity that goes on in todays society....Shoot em the first time they step on your lawn

Post Thanks / Like
    You would be surprised as to the people who would buy mounts. Deer mounts especially large and heavy scoring racks go at big dollars sometimes. There is a lady in Iowa that shed hunts with a Dog and sells some of them every year. It is obviously legal there to sell sheds as she does it. Anyway she sold a matched set to Cabelas several years ago for over 1,300 dollars. Now it was a buck that scored 192 5/8 inches typical to, so that is a Hoss. Cabelas will take that rack get a reputable taxidermist to find a suitable cape and mount that deer fro them to display in one of their stores.
    Restaurants, Bars, Meeting Halls, Outfitters, Sporting goods shops, the list goes on and on of whom would buy mounts. There is also a ''Black Market'' demand for many things that come from the animals. Deer antlers can be sold in the Asian black market and also furniture and home decor manufacturing uses Deer, Moose and Elk antlers all the time.

Again just some food for thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a great uncle, who is now deceased, that used to make custom knives and would use antlers for handles...He made the blade custom, and ground down the antlers to the shape of the handle he wanted...He never sold any of them and only did it for a hobby, but I can see where someone might do somethin like that and intend to turn a profit...There are a lot more uses than one would realize out there for parts of an animal

BTW, these knives are still in my family and are some of the coolest pieces I've ever laid my eyes on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I had a great uncle, who is now deceased, that used to make custom knives and would use antlers for handles...He made the blade custom, and ground down the antlers to the shape of the handle he wanted...He never sold any of them and only did it for a hobby, but I can see where someone might do somethin like that and intend to turn a profit...There are a lot more uses than one would realize out there for parts of an animal

BTW, these knives are still in my family and are some of the coolest pieces I've ever laid my eyes on...
    I love knives made with buck antlers especially the good ones. I have a pretty huge shed antler collection as I do it for a hobby and exercise. I don't sell them but I do give a few away here and there for crafts people make including knife handles. I've seen some badass lamps and chandeliers made from them to...