Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see them catch some real poachers sometimes besides arresting antique dealers and checking boats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    Who would even want too buy them?

If they are old, ugly, and look like they were mounted by Great Great Great Grand Daddy Zebediah, and are about to fall apart, I would say that Cracker Barrel would be interested in buying and displaying some of them...

Post Thanks / Like
    "Buying, selling, or transporting protected wildlife, mussels and fishes, raw fur, or processed wildlife."
    Processed wildlife, is what got them as it doesn't imply any protected species. It doesn't say Processed protected wildlife just processed wildlife (mounts, sheds, turkey feather displays, all that junk). Most of us know this law but non-hunters/fishers could very well not. Doesn't excuse the crime any though. If you get pulled over for speeding, saying "I didn't know the speed limit" doesn't matter, it's still your fault.
    And yes that law was written in the '50s but it was updated in 2006. So the antiquated law defense shouldn't work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could understand getting a warning for 1 or 2 mounts but 31 counts a piece is a little excessive. If you deal with that many furs or mounts you should know the laws before you start selling them. If a restaurant just started selling alcohol without being licensed it would be the same thing. Research your products before you start selling them. There is a video on YouTube that I just watched the other day with a q&a with Tim farmer and this was covered there as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by etcfishin View Post
    Would love to see them catch some real poachers sometimes besides arresting antique dealers and checking boats.
    Ill agree with you on that one part but tell me how they would do their jobs if they didnt actively check boats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides, they DO catch actual poachers all the time, if you follow the news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since they didn't own these but instead were selling them on some type of consignment, I wonder if any of the owners will be charged as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Since they didn't own these but instead were selling them on some type of consignment, I wonder if any of the owners will be charged as well?
    Interesting......

I have a little different take on this........but I'm thinking there MUST be more to the story than what we actually know.

Anyone know?

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Interesting......

I have a little different take on this........but I'm thinking there MUST be more to the story than what we actually know.

Anyone know?

Later,

Geo
    I agree, there really seems to be some missing information about this entire story.

What is your "different" take on this. You peeked my curiosity now

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep coming back to this line: "Since we opened our doors in 2003 we have sold animal mounts: deer, turkey, bore, antlers, (shed's included.) etc."

I find it hard to believe that they were in the business for 9 years and had no idea that what they were doing was illegal. I don't even hunt, and I've known that for years. It seems to me that in all that time, SOME one would have said, "Hey, isn't selling this stuff illegal?" My take is they were flouting the law and got caught. Too bad. I see no reason to give them a warning, and I don't think law enforcement's methods were heavy-handed at all. What were they supposed to do, call ahead and tell them they were coming, so they could get rid of the evidence?

And let's remove the word "endangered" from the discussion. THEY inserted that, not KDWFR. The species in question are "protected," because you need a license to kill them. Requiring those licenses is how KDFWR "protects" the species.