Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention that one of our club members did catch nearly 14 lbs in Painter's Creek. He used a small watermelon lizard and a small Pop R. Hope this helps anyone going that way.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drjochum73 View Post
    I forgot to mention that one of our club members did catch nearly 14 lbs in Painter's Creek. He used a small watermelon lizard and a small Pop R. Hope this helps anyone going that way.

Dan
    was he in the timber

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing the Timber in Painter Creek

I fished a bass tournament once at Patoka Lake. I got to fish for free in that one but I had to provide a boat for a college student from Purdue's Bass Fishing Club. One of my frat brother's started the Purdue Bass Fishing Club a few years before this tournament.

We only caught one bass that day. Only fished for about half a day anyway and it was right after a cold front moved in. Bluebird skies and all. I worked my way out of the creek until we hit one of the bays in the creek with timber in it at it's mouth. We worked our way back into the creek a ways and veered to the left following the creek channel though the submerged timber. We caught on fish that was 1/2" short of the legal size and had to return it. When we got back we found out that a 6 lb small mouth had won the tournament. No one else even caught any fish. I felt good to know that we at least caught one fish and no one else caught any except for Ray and his 6 lb SM bass. We would have done much better but I had never fished Painter Creek Before and had just got my new Garmin GPS unit and was still trying to figure out how to use it properly. But it did help me find that creek channel in that bay.

We caught the bass on a spinner bait. The fish were all suspended in the timber that day.

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    was he in the timber

Post Thanks / Like
    Was out there today just playing and trying different things. We had no great expectations so were not disappointed with one bass each(small ones), mine was a smallie that as he was near the boat a very large flathead attacked him. He was not injured and swam away. A few minute before that we saw a shad struggling on top of the water and while watching it saw a large flathead come up and get it.
    Also got to watch an adult eagle with two fledglings along the bank which made a slow fishing day great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    Was out there today just playing and trying different things. We had no great expectations so were not disappointed with one bass each(small ones), mine was a smallie that as he was near the boat a very large flathead attacked him. He was not injured and swam away. A few minute before that we saw a shad struggling on top of the water and while watching it saw a large flathead come up and get it.
    Also got to watch an adult eagle with two fledglings along the bank which made a slow fishing day great.

That's one of the reasons why I like fishing up there so much. But now the Celina has Bald Eagles I enjoy it a bunch more too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Drove into Jasper today and just on the edge of town there was a mature eagle circling a field. They are a great success story.

On yesterdays trip we hit the weedbeds along the banks with the flyrod and had lots of fun with those hugePatoka gills and sunnies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    was he in the timber
    The fish where caught from rock point just north of the painter's creek ramp to the bridge. He never left that area. All were caught before noon then all the fish where small.

Dan

www.evansvillebassmasters.webs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka today

Fished from 7 am to 130pm 15 bass total.... 4 keepers biggest close to 4 lb 10 on pop-R early on rip-rap... 5 on 10 in powerworms in timber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patoka 7-19.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	3870  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBoutBass View Post
    Fished from 7 am to 130pm 15 bass total.... 4 keepers biggest close to 4 lb 10 on pop-R early on rip-rap... 5 on 10 in powerworms in timber.
    i sure hope you get your pond stocked soon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    i sure hope you get your pond stocked soon...
    I'm with you. Lets leave some nice bass in the lake

Post Thanks / Like

So....

Quote Originally Posted by LMHunter View Post
    I'm with you. Lets leave some nice bass in the lake
    So....Me fishing this lake and returning home with a few gets a couple of you '' fishermen '' all on your soap-boxes about '' leave'em in the lake ''. So I take a few pics and share whats going on , on the handful of trips I take to Patoka....and here we go....All I ever see on here is its impossilble to catch fish on this lake....so I share some stories and pics...and you wanna comment on the couple that came home with me...One guy lets me know that posting ANY pics would ruin the entire lake for everyone because all of Louisville would be fishing there next weekend....WTH.....This board is not what I thought it was...keep it...I have buddies that I can share stories and pics...and yes, an occasional fish-sandwich with.... ohhhhhh noooooo !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AllBoutBass View Post
    So....Me fishing this lake and returning home with a few gets a couple of you '' fishermen '' all on your soap-boxes about '' leave'em in the lake ''. So I take a few pics and share whats going on , on the handful of trips I take to Patoka....and here we go....All I ever see on here is its impossilble to catch fish on this lake....so I share some stories and pics...and you wanna comment on the couple that came home with me...One guy lets me know that posting ANY pics would ruin the entire lake for everyone because all of Louisville would be fishing there next weekend....WTH.....This board is not what I thought it was...keep it...I have buddies that I can share stories and pics...and yes, an occasional fish-sandwich with.... ohhhhhh noooooo !!!
    I agree with AllBoutBass. The lake is 8800 acres. Some of you that cannot catch fish and then get butthurt when somebody else does catch them needs to man up and figure out what you are doing wrong. Don't blame somebody for keeping two or three fish every trip they take. AllBoutBass and myself will offer fishing lessons for those of you that "can't find your game".

8800 acres--it is not a farm pond. Get a life "fishing wannabes". It is sad this had to be my first post but it needed to be said.