Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

some questions concerning wade fishing

I only fish for smallmouth. Nothing else. Fish tygart creek quite regularly, and elkhorn when I can. I dont canoe or kayak (right now) am getting ready to buy one or the other soon but for now Im stuck wading.

Regarding elkhorn, where is a good place to put in and wade for a few miles without trespassing or steppin on anyones toes. We usually just rent a canoe when we go down there but Rather than rent id rather just wade for couple miles. Im not trying to butt in on anyones stomping grounds but Im not familiar enough with the area to (couple hours away) to know. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    No body knows any places that a guy could wade for a mile or 2 w/o causing trouble?

Post Thanks / Like

JMO

Any time your wading your trespassing in less its public land.If there are sighs i don't wade in less i have too in order too go around in a safe manner when i'm floating.The water isn't the land owners if it flows over his land but if your standing on the bottom he can tell you too leave but most don't or they would post their land.Elkhorn is mostly posted from what i seen the 2 times i was there.But there are a few spots that are public like Great Crossings park where i did catch some SM under the dam.Seen another dam down from there & around the covered bridge.Just like finding a spot on a lake your going too have too put in the time too find the spots.JMO
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TackleBox221 View Post
    I only fish for smallmouth. Nothing else. Fish tygart creek quite regularly, and elkhorn when I can. I dont canoe or kayak (right now) am getting ready to buy one or the other soon but for now Im stuck wading.

Regarding elkhorn, where is a good place to put in and wade for a few miles without trespassing or steppin on anyones toes. We usually just rent a canoe when we go down there but Rather than rent id rather just wade for couple miles. Im not trying to butt in on anyones stomping grounds but Im not familiar enough with the area to (couple hours away) to know. Any input would be greatly appreciated
    It's getting harder and harder to find access. Places I fished since 1970 are now posted. KDFWR has a couple new public access points but I don't think they want you wading there. IMO, a kayak or canoe is the way to go nowadays on Elkhorn.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Virginia, if you own the bank of a creek, you own the land to the middle. If you own both sides, you own the land under the water. The only way you can wade without trespassing is in designated stocked trout waters. I try to keep a list of local waters in several regions of the state that I can wade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I'm aware of the rules concerning wading. (reason for this post)I was just thinking someone might know of a place that elkhorn ran through a large Tract of public land that a person could get by with a few miles worth of wading without trespassing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I'm aware of the rules concerning wading. (reason for this post)I was just thinking someone might know of a place that elkhorn ran through a large Tract of public land that a person could get by with a few miles worth of wading without trespassing.
    Get on KDFWR website. There are some VPA sites now on Elkhorn.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not going to find any public land that gives you mile (s) of wading on elkhorn period.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you.