Search Fishin.com

Thread: Hickman Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Hickman Creek

Was wondering if anyone has fished Hickman Creek off of Ashgrove Pike in Nicholasville?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fished it with spinning gear. It seemed the key to that water was live bate. hardly got a sniff on anything artificial. I may try to take the flyrod out there soon though.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind if flies do you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now the only flies I use are poppers. I just started fly fishing last month and these came with the rod combo my kids got me for my 40th bday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I'm not sure. This is the first time I have ever fly fished. Just wanting to buy some more fly that would work on Smallies and Panfish. After I have hooked my first 2 smallies on my flyrod I am now hooked. I usually wade and take my flyrod and my ultralight spinner, but always end up just using my fly rod setup.

Post Thanks / Like

ProLite Jigs

Quote Originally Posted by creardon View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure. This is the first time I have ever fly fished. Just wanting to buy some more fly that would work on Smallies and Panfish. After I have hooked my first 2 smallies on my flyrod I am now hooked. I usually wade and take my flyrod and my ultralight spinner, but always end up just using my fly rod setup.
    The ProLite Jigs have been highly recommend to me for smallies. Purchased a few in different patterns, but yet to throw them at SM, but have caught a few trout fishing them as I would a streamer. Good luck and welcome to the FLY WORLD.
    http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...t/37539/148251

You should also look into "Clouser" style flies for SM. Just GOOGLE and you will be flooded with info.
    Last edited by FlyLie; 06-22-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried Boone Creek? It feeds into the KY river just east of I-75. I used to fish it years ago when I lived in Lexington. You used to be able to access it at the Iroquois Hunt Club on Grimes Mill Rd off of Old Richmond Rd. I haven't heard much about it since moving to L'ville 10 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildirish317 View Post
    Have you tried Boone Creek? It feeds into the KY river just east of I-75. I used to fish it years ago when I lived in Lexington. You used to be able to access it at the Iroquois Hunt Club on Grimes Mill Rd off of Old Richmond Rd. I haven't heard much about it since moving to L'ville 10 years ago.
    I've never heard of Boone creek before. I grew up in Georgetown so fished Elkhorn alot.Have live in Lexington for about 18 yrs now, but got away from fishing the creeks. My inlaws had a boat at Herrington Lake so have been fishing down there. They are selking their boat, so now hitting the streams again.
    Will have to try Boone Creek sometime though.