Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

crankbaits for hybrids??

I've had a chance recently to go hybrid fishing ,and I was hoping to find out about some crankbaits to use, besides shadraps, which is all I have,in Barren and Taylorsville. Thanks in Advance for your input.

SteveO

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to beat a black and chrome or blue and chrome rattle trap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rattle traps or similar lipless cranks, flitter bait and Gizz4 (smack Tackle), and pretty much any other crank that imiates a gizzard shad in size and profile. Pick the lure depending on the depth you need. Don't over look a bucktail jig or even a simple lead head with a sassy shad style trailer.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

crankbaits

Quote Originally Posted by sweett4u View Post
    I've had a chance recently to go hybrid fishing ,and I was hoping to find out about some crankbaits to use, besides shadraps, which is all I have,in Barren and Taylorsville. Thanks in Advance for your input.

SteveO
    Number 7 Rapala countdowns work well. If you troll for them try pulling countdowns as fast as you can with them jumping out of the water. Set your drag loose so they don't snap the line when they hit. Black and silver seen to be the best colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for rattle traps!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb hybrids ... never fished Barren, but ..

I used to do fairly well on Taylorsville, using Silver Buddy's painted white (casting/trolling) ... Kastmaster (casting/some trolling) .... small Hot-n-Tot (trolling) ... large Hot-n-Tot with jig trailer (trolling).

I've heard of people catching them on Shadraps (trolling), and cranks of various colors ... but, I think the overall best bait has been CHICKEN LIVERS (drifting). I say that, because its use appears to have been the single biggest factor in the removal of the majority of the biggest Hybrids from Taylorsville, that occurred right about the same time that these fish were reaching the (former) 15" size limit range. Now, to be fair, I haven't fished T-ville in many years ... & least of all for Hybrids ... but, I've also not seen any reports about people catching any numbers of Hybrids of this size, or larger. Coincidence or not ... the fact is that the size/creel limits have been changed, and may reflect the decline of the larger fish.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to beat a Flitterbait. Gizz 4's have caught some monsters too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never fished for Hybrids. What is the best speed to troll at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I have never fished for Hybrids. What is the best speed to troll at?
    By far my best trolling lure for hybrids in KY was the erie dearie rig in chrome color, with a nightcrawler on the hook. Feed the night crawler on the hook so that it is straight and dangling its tell straight back...they love it! Just straight line them behind the boat with a full cast distance. We had so much fun with those at Rough and Barren! Troll around 2-2.5 mph.
    My second choice would be a rattletrap in chrome or shad.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    By far my best trolling lure for hybrids in KY was the erie dearie rig in chrome color, with a nightcrawler on the hook. Feed the night crawler on the hook so that it is straight and dangling its tell straight back...they love it! Just straight line them behind the boat with a full cast distance. We had so much fun with those at Rough and Barren! Troll around 2-2.5 mph.
    My second choice would be a rattletrap in chrome or shad.

-Rich
    Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Have you ever trolled for LM bass at BR? I have a lot of back trouble and sometimes after awhile of casting it can take its toll on me. I think I am going to try to learn more about trolling in general in order to still enjoy some fishing after my back has hit it limit.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome! I need to go shopping now LOL

this is great stuff people, thanks .I have roadrunner jigs,never heard of erie dearie rig. I'm going to try Taylorsville this week . After work , before dark. hopefully I can beat the crowd of pleasure boaters. Two weeks ago I was in Ft. Smith , Ar. where they have that Pradco company. They make a majority of lures we see on the market, but I couldn't find hardly anything to bring back to Ky. I'm hooked on these hybrids for their awesome fight!

Post Thanks / Like
    The speed you'll troll will depend on the lures you are using. Put one out on 6-8 foot of line right next to the boat and adjust your speed until you find the speed that the lure tracks best. That is your trolling speed. One reason I like trolling bucktails (road runners with a twister tail or sassy shad style soft plastic work well too) is that there is a wide range of speeds that are good. I could put one out each side of the boat off a downrigger and troll around 4 mph to cover water until I found a good feeding school. Many times they would hit the jig at that speed. If I went through a school and no hits, I backed off the speed (no slower than 1.5 mph) and hit the school again.

Andrew