Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

St George Island and Little Debbie

Tropical storm Debbie has cause quite a bit of havac for St George Island and the surrounding area. I know several of the posters/visitors to Fishin.com are planning trips at different times and I couldn't remember if any were planning anything for this coming week.
    I got an email from Kathy, of Robinson Brothers Guide service, and the Island is currently without power. Access to the Island is limited to only those that own or show need (maintainance, etc). Renters will not be granted access except to gather belongings left from the initial evacuation. The kicker is, St George Island was without power for the first day of our visit LAST 4th of July.

The power company has been planning a transition to a more repliable means to power the Island and will speed up that process (which was close anyway) instead of repairing the damage. No time frame has been given that I can find, but my guess is it will be days. Apalachicola DOES have power. East Point DOES NOT. I know of one condo that was available as of yesterday for anyone that was planning to go down and wants a fail over until the Island opens back up.

If no one was planning to go thise next week, then nevermind.. LOL

Let me know if you need more information. I can pass along the info on the Condo if needed. It's not mine, Kathy just reported about it..

Post Thanks / Like
    I JUST got an update. Power is expected to return by Friday. That's given the current weather conditions remain or weaken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Power is being restored to the Island today. They say "is" because there still could be some sporadic outages. The main thing is access to the Island has also been restored and the 8 oclock curfew has been lifted. hopefully, the upgraded system will be more dependable.