Search Fishin.com

Technonorb Guest

Alabama Rig question

I am getting up with the times and am going to try the Alabama rig but when I look at BPS and Cabelas, They range from $9-$29. Is there a dimes bit of differance between them and what should I look for in the rig and swim baits to use? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Order them of ebay. Its much cheaper, and you wont feel as bad when you lose one. Get some 3in shad in several colors. Fish the color depending on the day. I have a A-rig set up for $7 and it works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Backwater Outfitters in Lexington has some really nice ones that are locally made and if I remember correctly I believe they are 10 or $15, really nice though, and they have some smaller versions for smaller applications, plus you don't have to pay shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    i got one for free, and stil dont use it...lol

Technonorb Guest
    Thanks for the input guys. One thing I notice on all them is barrel swivels. I learned a long time ago that the difference between a good and bad Spinnerbait was good had ball bearing swivels and bad was barrel swivel. Wouldn't that be true on these rigs? Thanks Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Technonorb View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. One thing I notice on all them is barrel swivels. I learned a long time ago that the difference between a good and bad Spinnerbait was good had ball bearing swivels and bad was barrel swivel. Wouldn't that be true on these rigs? Thanks Tech
    I'm thinking the swivel on an A-rig wouldn't matter as much unless you're rigging a spinner on one of the arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    i got one for free, and stil dont use it...lol
    Now, THAT'S funny, from a guy whose caught more big bass (6lb+) than most on the board (ESPECIALLY me!).

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/Casting...ted-P2538.aspx

Got mine here. $3.69 each with unpainted 1/2 oz head - just add snap swivels.

Technonorb Guest
    Thanks Hairball... thats a great price and website! Before I order, what size swivel should I get? Not well versed in swivels and sizes. Thanks Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    The stronger swivel the better on the A rig...I bought a few different brands and had the fish to straighten the swivel out on one of them and have had sever more straighten out hung up on others...costs ya your head and swimbait instead of just straightening the hook out

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM.

Technonorb Guest
    Thanks for all the responses.... just 1 more question, what would be the best swim bait and hook be? Thanks again, TR