Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

So where do you use your yak?

Just interested to hear the types of places folks use their yaks. I got mine mostly for fishing small lakes and rivers in central KY. Had it out on Corinth, Beaver Lake, Elk Horn, and Licking River. I have also used it in salt ponds in Rhode Island, Buzzards Bay in Cape Cod, and even a few beach areas on the Atlantic around Rhode Island (calm days!).

Mostly bass fish (LM and SM) from the yak. In the salt, I've caught bluefish, stripers, Sea Bass, scup, and fluke.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite spot to fish right now is Cedar Creek Lake but I'll hit Elkhorn Creek sometimes with my buddies. I work with three other guys that are pretty avid kayak fishermen and we try and get out as often as we can. We recently went on a trip down to TN where we hit the French Broad and the Pidgen Rivers. We caught a bunch of Trout down there but mostly fish for Bass. I'm headin up to Boston Mass in August with my pops and we're takin my yak's up there to do some fishin. I've been meaning to put pictures of my yak on here, but havn't got around to takin them yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mostly fish Drakes creek around Bowling Green.Have fished Elkhorn.Barren river & lake,Nolin,Shanty Hollow.I've fished in Mi with it.I fish mostly for LM & SM but have caught carp,bluegills,rockbass & a 19inch cat fish on a spinner bait from Elkhorn.White,yellow,hybird bass.This is my 2nd yr doing it from a yak & its a blast.It opened up a lot of spots that boats never will go.I think i've had more fun in my yak if i don't count chasing down the jumps at 60mph on Nolin.Man i need too get on those jumps with my yak.I plan on getting a Hobbie for the lakes because i have some freinds who catch strippers from theirs.
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like
    Some small lakes and love to hit the creeks. ... Elkhorn and Floyds Fork..... raincheck I have to get down your way and hit Drakes again sometime this summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjoe View Post
    Some small lakes and love to hit the creeks. ... Elkhorn and Floyds Fork..... raincheck I have to get down your way and hit Drakes again sometime this summer.
    Joe i have found a cave & dead end on Middle Fork of Drakes that are cool,right below the cave is a nice hole that my son caught his biggest SM & i wore them out the 1st time there.That was my 2nd time there & he put a woopin on me in size but thats because he was doing what i said for a change....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0378.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	3809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0358.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	3810  

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting to see all the places everyone has paddled. As for myself, my kayak has been to the following places:

Elkhorn Creek
    Taylorsville Lake/Salt River
    Kentucky River
    Elmer Davis Lake
    Laurel River Lake
    Dale Hollow Lake
    Cumberland River tailwaters (from Dam all the way to Winfreys)
    Dix River tailwaters
    Big South Fork
    Clear Creek Lake
    Cedar Creek Lake

....and probably a few other places I've forgotten about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peabody WMA
    Lake Malone
    Luzerne Lake
    Red River (logan county)
    Drakes Creek (warren county)
    couple of farm ponds
    Ky Lake

Only had it for a month or so!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmbur22 View Post
    Interesting to see all the places everyone has paddled. As for myself, my kayak has been to the following places:

Elkhorn Creek
    Taylorsville Lake/Salt River
    Kentucky River
    Elmer Davis Lake
    Laurel River Lake
    Dale Hollow Lake
    Cumberland River tailwaters (from Dam all the way to Winfreys)
    Dix River tailwaters
    Big South Fork
    Clear Creek Lake
    Cedar Creek Lake

....and probably a few other places I've forgotten about.
    Dix River is a pretty cool trip. I've been wanting to hit the Cumberland River at some point.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    I spend most of my time locally on Elkhorn. And have been fishing the Elkhorn Creek Fishing Series this year.

I spend a few weekends a year on the New River in Virginia, making up part of the "parking lot".

Fish stoner and KY river some too.

Hoping to hit the licking, green and levisa fork for soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Elkhorn Creek Fishing Series i'll bet its a blast & wish it was closer.
    How have you been doing? in it.
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    Elkhorn Creek Fishing Series i'll bet its a blast & wish it was closer.
    How have you been doing? in it.
    Terry Adolph
    It has been a lot of fun, and I have been lucky enough to win a few. The water has been real low for us, but the fishing has been good. Check out the page on facebook, Elkhorn Creek Fishing Series.