Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

High School Bass Fishing

Ky is the 2nd state too add bass fishing as a sport.Whats everyone think about itI'm for it but think they should use CPR instead of the traditional weigh in.Then the whole school could see the tournaments on the big screen instead of the ramps becoming even more crowded.It opens up the use of Kayaks instead of a 50k boat.Just a few thoughts i have whats yours?
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.highschoolfishing.org/ Seems there are more states than the local news said today.

Post Thanks / Like
    The kids in my area are serious about their fishing and it is awesome to see and hear these boys. These boys are now able to go to colleges that have a program that they can continue on with, and my thought is that fishing bass tournaments as opposed to other things they could be doing is a credit to the sport. Last year I had the pleasure of taking a couple of UK boys out and to hear their conviction on their grades and futures was heartwarming to say the least.

I support the high school fishing 100% as most will do and I think it's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    nobody is going to use a kayak up against bass boats...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the high school bass fishing is wonderful and wish they woulda had it 10 or 15 years ago when I was there....I know when my life came to a crossroads and I could've taken a couple different paths I started fishing tournaments and it's kept me out of a lot of trouble and can see the same thing happening for some other young kids...I do know it'll be one of the hardest sports to get funded because boats aren't cheap and neither is the gas

Post Thanks / Like
    Nationwide, our kids are getting SMOKED in math and science, but it's acceptable for them to waste their time and energy on yet another pseudo-sport? I think we need to rethink our priorities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    nobody is going to use a kayak up against bass boats...lol
    No but its a whole lot cheaper than Bass boats.No Gas & opens up alot more water that a Bass boat can't get too.After all its all about catching Bass.How many kids will have access too a bass boat.Food for thought and my grand kids got a few years before high school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    http://www.highschoolfishing.org/ Seems there are more states than the local news said today.
    Actually Terry, the article is right in a sense. High school bass fishing has been around for a few years, but Kentucky became only the second state to make it sanctioned as an actual high school sporting event. The KHSAA will conduct the sport, much like they do football, basketball etc.

Hairball, this is no different than any other extra-curricular activity, which all the facts show, the students that participate have higher gpa's better behavior etc. This is not wasting anyone's money, because it will come from the athletic departments and booster clubs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hairball, not all kids come from great homes where academics are held as the highest standard.....For many of these kids, sports in general is a safe haven and a way for them to get away from things...Through college sports how many kids do you think earned a degree that wouldn't have gotten that chance if not for sports...If fishing, as a sport, keeps 4 or 5 kids a year off the streets or out of trouble, is it worth it? Lord knows our government spends a lot more money on a lot more useless stuff than getting these kids into something they enjoy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tim,like Nascar i think the kids need too be apart of the sport at even before High School and work their way up the ladder if you catch my drift.I read some of the rules & the coach has too drive the boat.Which means most kids won't get too fish or will only be as good as the coach who mite own a bass boat but can't fish.When i was tournament fishing & i tought every thing i could too my partner then we split & went our own way.I would have kept fishing if i could find another that i could learn from & had a boat.Never happen & i tryed even running tournaments because lets face it i did it too make money or win it.Who wouldn't love too make or win money doing what they love.I fished ABA & had some of the Louisville anglers as co anglers & took the time too help them catch fish,1 mite of even won when they did.If you put a kid on fish they will catch them & love the sport.Its going too be interesting & can't wait too see the next AOY,,,,I could go on but that for those who get paid too wright

And on another note me & my x partner have been kayak fishing alot & i can't wait for him too hook a monster like he did from the back of my Triton many times.
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like
    In response to fishinislife,
    Although I do support the idea of competitive fishing in high school and college, I do not support it or any sport as an avenue for getting a scholarship. I obtained my degree from Bama through an academic scholarship. I worked really hard for my scholarship and my degree. The only thing I've been given was a brain and the ability to use it. I've seen way to many athletes go through school on a football scholarship without learning anything. A good portion of them wind up behind bars after school and then the rest of us pay their way through life. I had a lot of friends in high school that could have benefited from higher education, but because they were poor they could not afford it. Way to much money is spent on athletics that could otherwise be used to benefit society through academic scholarships and lower tuition for students that were not blessed with being athletes or being born into a family that could provide them with opportunities to make something of themselves. Sports are for having fun and learning teamwork, not a way to get a free ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    Thanks Tim,like Nascar i think the kids need too be apart of the sport at even before High School and work their way up the ladder if you catch my drift.I read some of the rules & the coach has too drive the boat.Which means most kids won't get too fish or will only be as good as the coach who mite own a bass boat but can't fish.When i was tournament fishing & i tought every thing i could too my partner then we split & went our own way.I would have kept fishing if i could find another that i could learn from & had a boat.Never happen & i tryed even running tournaments because lets face it i did it too make money or win it.Who wouldn't love too make or win money doing what they love.I fished ABA & had some of the Louisville anglers as co anglers & took the time too help them catch fish,1 mite of even won when they did.If you put a kid on fish they will catch them & love the sport.Its going too be interesting & can't wait too see the next AOY,,,,I could go on but that for those who get paid too wright

And on another note me & my x partner have been kayak fishing alot & i can't wait for him too hook a monster like he did from the back of my Triton many times.
    Terry Adolph
    Terry, the way I understand it is that it works just like the junior tournaments. There will be boat captains (adults) that will drive the boats and the anglers make all the decisions about where to go etc. The captains are there simply to drive the boat and make sure no rules are broken.