Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: stolen gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishandfire160 View Post
    the worst part of this is im not from around the area im from northern butler county Ohio I came down to ky to go on a fishing trip with a few friends and since I dont know the area really at all im lost on where to look or go to see where anything might be.
    When i was in Al. for the ABA AOY & Championship some non boater had all his stuff stold.It happens more than most know.On FB i read about some stealing going on in Fl during winter.Thats why its called school of hard knocks.Most of what i carry in my car is wore out & only worth anything too me.I could tell alot about whats been stold from me but can't remember any fishing stuff.But i beleave in karma & think i'm even on all my bad deeds....My story & i'll tell it my way..the truth...bet some on here that read this know what i'm talking about.Sorry for your loss & the people who did it will get whats do too them before the end or end up in .... Just my 2cents
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like
    a good many years ago i did a fishing show with KY Afield . the night before we filmed i met up with Dave Shuffet, Norm Minch and cameraman Tommy Bauerman at a local motel (which i will not name due to change of ownership) and we grilled steaks, told fishing stories, and planned the next mornings trip. While we were behind the cottages, my boat loaded with gear was in the front of the motel. When i went to my truck to leave i noticed my bait tank was missing.....along with everything else in the boat, and i mean EVERYTHING!!. rods, reels, tackle boxes, life jackets, throw cushion, fire extinguisher, polarized glasses, net, bait net,castnet, spare spools of line, submersible lights, bait tank salt, shad saver....etc, and etc.
    all of this gear was removed from the boat with all 4 of us a mere 75 feet away, i was too stunned and bewildered to me mad.
    my insurance covered "0", and the motels insurance covered "0", without proof of what i had in the boat they would not even talk about it......even if i had receipts they said that didnt prove it was in the boat when i came to the motel.

fortunately i have great friends that were waiting at the ramp at 4am with "loaner gear" so we could fish as planned.

i have never even got a whiff of who might have taken the gear, and none of it ever showed up locally which made me believe it was aother guest at the motel that lived a good distance away from here.

as GEO stated above i now insure my contents, for a couple extra dollars its worth the piece of mind.

i hope you find your gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    a good many years ago i did a fishing show with KY Afield . the night before we filmed i met up with Dave Shuffet, Norm Minch and cameraman Tommy Bauerman at a local motel (which i will not name due to change of ownership) and we grilled steaks, told fishing stories, and planned the next mornings trip. While we were behind the cottages, my boat loaded with gear was in the front of the motel. When i went to my truck to leave i noticed my bait tank was missing.....along with everything else in the boat, and i mean EVERYTHING!!. rods, reels, tackle boxes, life jackets, throw cushion, fire extinguisher, polarized glasses, net, bait net,castnet, spare spools of line, submersible lights, bait tank salt, shad saver....etc, and etc.
    all of this gear was removed from the boat with all 4 of us a mere 75 feet away, i was too stunned and bewildered to me mad.
    my insurance covered "0", and the motels insurance covered "0", without proof of what i had in the boat they would not even talk about it......even if i had receipts they said that didnt prove it was in the boat when i came to the motel.

fortunately i have great friends that were waiting at the ramp at 4am with "loaner gear" so we could fish as planned.

i have never even got a whiff of who might have taken the gear, and none of it ever showed up locally which made me believe it was aother guest at the motel that lived a good distance away from here.

as GEO stated above i now insure my contents, for a couple extra dollars its worth the piece of mind.

i hope you find your gear.
    75feet is a long ways when i was sleeping on a couch some theif broke in & stold from me....I THANK GOD I DIDN'T WAKE UP AMEN

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a lot of tackle stolen from my boat one October at Moors' Marina. We reported it to the police who came out and did a report my insurance covered it all minus the deductible of 100.00. I'm still with that insurance company.

If I could help you find your gear you would not have to give me any reward catching the *** ***** would be reward enough

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Will keep an eye out while interneting and Craigslisting.

I hope the insurance folks take care of you.

Just some thoughts for all and to learn abit. I keep a updated inventory of all my rods and reels, including date bought and price paid on a spreadheet. Each time I update the inventory, I then take a digital photo to store with the inventory. Just one or 2 pics of all the rods and reels in the rod rack. I also keep a spreadsheet for boat gear, and include serial numbers for items with them, makes, models, date bought, and price paid. I keep digital photos of the higher cost boat gear and electronics. I register warranties on all items that have them, just to have an online and printed record I had the item to register.

I haven't had a major loss. But was wondering from you alls experience. Do the inventories and digital photos help satisfiy the inusrance companies if you have to file a claim?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the area you were fishing. There is always teens hanging around there where grassy creek runs into the Licking. Sorry to hear your losses. I used to wade that area about 15 years ago. It has been that long since I was down that way. I live on the licking river in Campbell Co. How did you do fishing?
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also from Campbell county and have fished that area many times. Was it the sharp 90 Degree turn right past the rock quarry? The worst place I know of is under the bridge in falmouth about 5 miles down from butler. I walked up on a couple guys checking out my back seat one time and you could tell they were more scared than I was pi**ed. I knew one of the kids and had a little "talk" with him the next time I saw him out. It's a shame because at times of the year the fishing down there can be pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you parked at the tressel in DeMossville,it's thief city around there.I've fished the Licking River for over 50 years and never had anything stolen,fortunately,if you ever go again I can tell you safe places on private land to park.
    Most of the thieves around DeMossville/Morningview do their business in Kenton county not Pendleton county,I've never heard of one theft at the bridge in Falmouth to the guy who said that was a bad area.Big difference and looking in your truck and stealing.
    I know alot of people in the area and will keep my eyes and ears open,odds are it will get sold to drug dealers or in a bar,not a pawnshop or craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Evidently they were not fisherman , my tackle and rods are my pride and joy! I will also keep my eyes and ears open, is there any thing that sticks out, markings, stickers etc. I would love to see these low life's brought to justice!!! I feel your pain , and hopefully we can get your goods back to you !!! This could happen to anyone, at any time and it ***** that there are people in this world that have no respect, values or morals!!! I wish you the best luck man !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I HATE THIEVES to a level that ain't healthy. Unless a man is stealing to feed his starving children I hope they all die a slow painful death...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Will keep an eye out while interneting and Craigslisting.

I hope the insurance folks take care of you.

Just some thoughts for all and to learn abit. I keep a updated inventory of all my rods and reels, including date bought and price paid on a spreadheet. Each time I update the inventory, I then take a digital photo to store with the inventory. Just one or 2 pics of all the rods and reels in the rod rack. I also keep a spreadsheet for boat gear, and include serial numbers for items with them, makes, models, date bought, and price paid. I keep digital photos of the higher cost boat gear and electronics. I register warranties on all items that have them, just to have an online and printed record I had the item to register.

I haven't had a major loss. But was wondering from you alls experience. Do the inventories and digital photos help satisfiy the inusrance companies if you have to file a claim?
    I would say yes this would be a big help as far as my loss I had replacement insurance all I had to do was to use the Bass Pro prices. They took my word for what I had stolen from the boat I had been with this insurance company several years and had no claims. I also had a fishing partner who had stolen gear. My biggest problem was remembering all the tackle that I had put in the boat. Of course I could remember the rods and reels but I would be looking for a certain crank bait and would remember it was stolen and I forgot to turn it in so in that sense i did have some loss. Your inventory would be a big help in determining what was gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also added a rider for equipment with my boat insurance. It wasn't much of a difference in the premium at all.