Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Deck Repair

New to Fishin.com and I'm looking for suggestions on repairing a soft in the floor of an 88 Baja Fishin/Ski.I dont believe it to be to bad but you never know until you get into it. Is this a difficult task? Does anybody have any rough estimates having it done. Floor looks to be (glass/plywood/glass/carpet).Any info is appreciated and thanks inadvance for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a quote for mine from GoFast Fiberglass in Bracken County KY. He quoted my $950 not including carpet. which is actually reasonable. A lot of people this it is as easy as pulling up the old floor, cutting out some plywood and smearing some poly on the bottom of it then screwing it down.... sorry to say its not. I have decided to do my own simply because I have the space do it and I don't have the money to have it done. Boats usually rot from the bottom up. Depending on the size of the soft spot there is a very good chance some of your stringers will have to be replaced. Also once your stringers start rotting it is likely to spread to your transom... bad news. I was lucky and I checked my transom and its solid. I am going to have to replace about 3in of my stringers in the one spot. Once you do that everything has to be tied together with resign. There really should be any screws that have structural purpose when you done it should all be held together with resin to allow it all to move and give as nessesary.

It's not that hard to do it is just time consuming, expensive, and dirty itchy work. Not saying this from experience because I am not starting mine until November but I have been doing a lot of home work on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Aquaman.

onemorecast56 Guest

I can do that for you

I do this all the time for people,,mostly in runabouts and bassboats, I`m not even close to that 950 he was talking about,,your probley talking about 500 to repair it,,thats wood,fixing it, and put same color carpet back,,if your interested you can call me,,if you come out on a weekend and you got a day we can fix it right then and you can see how it`s done,,

Doug
    502-543-7787

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply onemorecast. Im assumeing you have to cut the fiberglass out and reglass back right? Im just wondering i havent removed carpet yet and may not till i get done using it this season. Do you have a repair shop,if so whats the name?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nmvfd795 View Post
    Thanks for the reply onemorecast. Im assumeing you have to cut the fiberglass out and reglass back right? Im just wondering i havent removed carpet yet and may not till i get done using it this season. Do you have a repair shop,if so whats the name?
    I just want to say that I had Doug (OneMoreCast) do some deck work on an older model Ranger Bass boat as well as re-carpeting and I couldn't be happier with Doug as a person and his work. Straight up honest dude who does very good professional level work. I have pictures if you're interested. Jay Wallen (jwallen84@gmail.com)