Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

The Asian Carp Scourge may be going away...........

This guy has found a market and harvests 30 million pounds a year in Illinois. He has plans for many other areas........

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/...ts-fertilizer/

Cannot wait.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good. Personally I would rather through science someone came up with a way to eradicate them. My worry with this approach is that if it becomes a multi million dollar business and starts to employ more people the motivation to get rid of them will be deterred. They will become a commodity to be maintained instead of getting rid of. If that company was to invest that kind of money it wouldn't be reasonable to not then expect them to also want to put into place a long term plan and approach that would include some time of "management" of the fish over time. I doubt they would fish themselves out of business.

Don't get me wrong, if this is the best and only way I am all for it. Better to live with them in a limited basis, then to let them take over.

I have a question. I assume they net these fish, what happens to all the other game fish that get netted as well?

PS: Thanks for posting the link, it was an interesting article.
    Last edited by SLP; 07-21-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Silver carp good to eat

Silver carp are good eating. I had some unknowingly at a Resturaunt. So good I asked the lady at the cash register what kind of fish it was. I made a similiar post a few days ago....for those that did not see.

Story....
    http://fishin.com/articles/asian-carp-good-eatin.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    This is GREAT news, but I'm kinda like SLP on this, I'd rather see them wiped out entirely, if there's a way. And I'm not too worried about other game fish getting netted. As damaging as these fish are to the food chain, there probably aren't very many game fish at all present in places where the silver carp are, few enough to be well worth it. Heck, IMO if we end up decimating, or even wiping out, the native game species, it would be worth if it means we're done with this scourge. We can always restock the waters with the species we want to be there.