Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Daytime bowfishing silvers on the ohio

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	4296 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	3830

I know most bowfishing is done at night and we do alot of it at night but during the day is unreal we see huge numbers of silvers (asian carp) If you never have tried them during the day you might want to give it a shot it is worth it. Just remember a good par of polarized glasses. No we did not leave these fish laying on the bank we just do it for pitcures and then we load them back up and disspose of them.
    Last edited by peter; 07-23-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gobbler82 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	4296 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	3830 I know most bowfishing is done at night and we do alot of it at night but during the day is unreal we see huge numbers of silvers (asian carp) If you never have tried them during the day you might want to give it a shot it is worth it. Just remember a good par of polarized glasses. No we did not leave these fish laying on the bank we just do it for pitcures and then we load them back up and disspose of them.
    Awesome............KILL as many as you want to..............

Post Thanks / Like
    Gobbler Can you go into a littl mor detail on this. I am trying to get into bowfishing but havent had much luck. Where do you go to find the silver carp. I live around Louisville. Is there anything with the water conditions that you look for?

Thanks for the help and advise to a newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't care where you leave them just kill them.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats awesome! i snagged one once when i bass fishing, saw over 200 of them. there are unreal numbers of schools of these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job.Keep it up. With the water levels low right now they are easy to find....everywhere I don't bow fish but see them everywhere. Last year at low levels I was fishing the lower Mcalpine dam and was amazed at just how many I could see..At one point a small flock of duck flew over and actually spooked several dozen. Boy's it's gettin bad.....And I can't snagg for them anymore thanks to some greed.i.e. Paddle fish bust. You boy's keep up the good job. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    A big WAY TO GO!!!!

Kill'em ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a stupid question: When I was a little kid they talked about how the indians used to put a fish with the corn plant to fertilize it..... Why have they not come up with some form of fertilizer market that these fish could be put to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    I have a stupid question: When I was a little kid they talked about how the indians used to put a fish with the corn plant to fertilize it..... Why have they not come up with some form of fertilizer market that these fish could be put to use?
    I think with a few million dollars, someone could come up with a viable and legitimate business venture using this source. Maybe fertilizer, maybe food source, maybe fish meal.....who knows.

I think the biggest problem with harvesting them is the potential of hurting game species. Could you imagine the fallout of harvesting these in gill nets, and accidentally also catching a few hundred/thousand stripers or largemouth.

The times I've seen the massive schools of these fish, they've been in places that I'd TARGET specifically for Largemouth. Maybe they are not there at the same times, but I'm thinking since they are a plankton/filter feeder, , and since shad eat plankton, I'm suspecting gamefish would be in the EXACT same area.

No matter........if we don't figure out some controls for these invasive species, the bass fisheries around here will be gone in a matter of years.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Outdoorsman 33

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_33 View Post
    Gobbler Can you go into a littl mor detail on this. I am trying to get into bowfishing but havent had much luck. Where do you go to find the silver carp. I live around Louisville. Is there anything with the water conditions that you look for?

Thanks for the help and advise to a newbie
    I shoot most all my fish on the Ohio river I mostly find them in the middle of the river or where the scum line is. At night and during the day you will find them about the same areas. I want to come and shoot in Louisville part of
    The river so maybe if you know
    Where there is a ramp maybe you can go out with us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kill kill kill kill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gobbler82 View Post
    I shoot most all my fish on the Ohio river I mostly find them in the middle of the river or where the scum line is. At night and during the day you will find them about the same areas. I want to come and shoot in Louisville part of
    The river so maybe if you know
    Where there is a ramp maybe you can go out with us.
    what part of the river. Was you south of Louisville. I've been around brandenburg with not much luck have good luck at Berkeley tailwaters. But I live close to Louisville so would like to know where you been shooting all those.