Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, what do you guys think of this yak?

http://nativewatercraft.com/outfitting.cfm?boat=3. I have a buddy in Madison, WI that can get me the TEVIS version of that at cost.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultimate.jpg 
Views:	1928 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	3838

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

http://nativewatercraft.com/outfitting.cfm?boat=3. I have a buddy in Madison, WI that can get me the TEVIS version of that at cost.......

I wish I could trade my 4 to 1 of those. Very nice. At cost you can't beat it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    I wish I could trade my 4 to 1 of those. Very nice. At cost you can't beat it.
    Yea, it is not cheap...........but like my canoes, they also are not cheap.

This was created exclusively for fishing. I spent some time with the owner of the company a few years ago, and I really liked the system. Also, the Tevis version I was talking about is very, very light, which makes it easier to handle.

I'm just looking right now........probably going to get rid of one of my canoes and get a yak, just don't know what yet.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo, I use baitcasters in the yak. I'm a righty, but use lefty reels. No switching hands. I only own a couple of cheap spinners and rarely use them. If you are more comfortable using the spinners in the canoe, probably the same in the yak.

As far as the yak you posted, I have never seen one up close to really give a good opinion. If you are seriously thinking about one for fishing, see if you can try out several different ones just to get a feel for what will work for you. A lot will depend on where you intend to use it. I mostly use mine in small lakes and rivers, so a smaller size paddle version works best for me. A couple of my friends use theirs mostly in saltwater. Peddle drive hobies is what they prefer in the salt. I've had mine in the salt, but have to keep a good eye on the weather/conditions.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

That looks awesome. I never had one so i couldn't give you an educated opinion about specifics, but it looks real nice. Does it have an option for pedals? I was looking at one where you had the option to pedal it with your feet and keep both hands free. I thought that was a neat feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    That looks awesome. I never had one so i couldn't give you an educated opinion about specifics, but it looks real nice. Does it have an option for pedals? I was looking at one where you had the option to pedal it with your feet and keep both hands free. I thought that was a neat feature.
    Pedals are an option.....as is a motor.......I'd do the pedals, but they are different than the hobie's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pedals are an option.....as is a motor.......I'd do the pedals, but they are different than the hobie's.

It really looks nice. Hope it works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    It really looks nice. Hope it works out for you.
    This is just one of 11 different options I'm trying out in madison, WI in a month.

I have a good friend that owns rudabaga up there, and he has a few for me to try out on my swing back from Canada.......I'm taking the Yakima rack, so who knows........I might end up bring one back

Post Thanks / Like
    ... I was looking at one where you had the option to pedal it with your feet and keep both hands free. I thought that was a neat feature.
    Several brands do have the pedals. They can be useful for some types of fishing, but not so useful for others. Since the pedals run below the yak you need deeper water to run them (around 2 feet for some). In some of the areas I fish that will not work. They also tend to be larger/heavier. If you are trying to cover a lot of water, they can be useful cause you can cast and pedal or troll hands free. Pros and cons for each, just gotta figure out what works best for how you want to use them.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Native Ultimate 12 and LOVE IT!!! I use it on rivers and lakes for Small and Largemouth mostly.Its not the Tegris version so it weighs about 15lbs more but it is awesome! I stand and fish 75% of the time, its wide open like a canoe so it can hold all kinds of gear, and the seat is second to none for comfort.
    Another cool thing is Native makes a seat riser that raises the seat about 5 inches. This has two benefits, one is a higher seated position for fishing and the other is how much easier it makes it to go from sitting to standing.
    This kind of kayak would probably be an easy transition since your coming from a canoe.
    You may want to look into the Ultimate Basic on the Native Watercraft website. Because its the "basic" its cheaper and weighs less than the regular version. Mine comes in at 50lbs. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=45
    Here's mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by inrll View Post
    I have the Native Ultimate 12 and LOVE IT!!! I use it on rivers and lakes for Small and Largemouth mostly.Its not the Tegris version so it weighs about 15lbs more but it is awesome! I stand and fish 75% of the time, its wide open like a canoe so it can hold all kinds of gear, and the seat is second to none for comfort.
    Another cool thing is Native makes a seat riser that raises the seat about 5 inches. This has two benefits, one is a higher seated position for fishing and the other is how much easier it makes it to go from sitting to standing.
    This kind of kayak would probably be an easy transition since your coming from a canoe.
    You may want to look into the Ultimate Basic on the Native Watercraft website. Because its the "basic" its cheaper and weighs less than the regular version. Mine comes in at 50lbs. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=45
    Here's mine.

That looks looks like the cat daddy. Do you think it handles and paddles similiar to the typical sit on top of types. I like the room and the fact you can stand up. I spent many of my younger years paddling aluminum canoes on the Ohio and could not wait to get a boat with a motor. if it paddles more like a canoe might not be for me. If it paddles more like a kayak this looks real good.

Do you know how much the cheaper model is that you referred to?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    That looks looks like the cat daddy. Do you think it handles and paddles similiar to the typical sit on top of types. I like the room and the fact you can stand up. I spent many of my younger years paddling aluminum canoes on the Ohio and could not wait to get a boat with a motor. if it paddles more like a canoe might not be for me. If it paddles more like a kayak this looks real good.

Do you know how much the cheaper model is that you referred to?

Thanks again.
    I think it handles very similarly to a 12 SOT. Check out this review, it helped me out A LOT when deciding what to get. (Or at least narrowing down the list) http://georgiariverfishing.com/GAart...Ultimate12.htm The article is a few years old so there are some small improvements in the newer models and they don't make them with the drop down skeg anymore.

The price of the standard Ultimate 12 is around $1050 and the Ultimate 12 Basic is around $850. I don't know if Canoe KY sells the Basic but they do sell the standard version and I know you can rent one for a day and take it on a float down the Elkhorn. I have to warn you though, if you try it you might be leaving with your wallet a little lighter!

As much as I love the Ultimate I think anyone looking for a kayak owes it to themselves to try out as many of the kayaks that catch their eye as possible. What is perfect for one guy might not be for the next.