Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Off-Topics Forum --- New posts and What's New

Thinking about making a change so the posts on the Off Topics Forum do not show up in "What's New and "New Posts"

What do you all think?

Thanks
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    I am relatively still new hear so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

That said since you asked, my first thought is that it may keep the site a little more focused on fishing discussions. Many of the Off Topic threads do seem to push the fishing threads down the page more quickly when viewing new posts or today's posts.

But again, I am pretty new, so my opinion might not be as well thought out as those that have been here much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Thinking about making a change so the posts on the Off Topics Forum do not show up in "What's New and "New Posts"

What do you all think?

Thanks
    Peter
    Good idea. Better to have the fishing related stuff show up. The folks who will get the most out of this site will be the ones who come here for the fishing info.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Good idea. Better to have the fishing related stuff show up. The folks who will get the most out of this site will be the ones who come here for the fishing info.

Andrew
    Agree....the fishing related stuff does roll off quickly.

Later

Geo

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Peter,
    I agree. Just as an additional thought, could there be 2 choices. "What's new on the fishing forum" and a second choice of "What's new on the WHOLE site". Ergo, folks that want focus on fishing updates got that to do, and folks that want a glodbal search can do that also.

Again, agree, fishing as focal point for new posts updates is central to the whole site.

By the way, thanks for all you do and making this whole thing work.

Post Thanks / Like

Must have been reading my mind!

Was just thinking the same thing a couple of days ago. Just hate to click on New Post, only to be hit in the face with all the Off Topic Political Crap. Great idea, hope you decide to move it off.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    All of your all's comments are important. Thanks. Many on here know more about the forum than I do.

I think in a perfect situation it would be nice as hurricane suggests that users have the choice to see the new off topic posts or not. A concern is that somebody on a first visit to the forum might see too much non fishin stuff and leave quickly.

There are some limitations in the software. Right now it takes custom programming to keep posts from a specific forum from showing up in the activity stream (or " what's new" button--they are the same thing). I can turn the activity stream off but I think it is useful because it shows new stuff other than posts-user album photos for example. I really like the activity stream and it will be even more important as we migrate the whole site to new software.

I can easily exclude off topic posts from the " what's new" and "today's posts" buttons/links in the navigation bar.
    Right now these are set to exclude off topic posts. So flylie use the new posts link in the navbar for now. This setup is just a test and could change.

Seems to me that it would be good to have the reverse of this.
    Activity stream does not show off topic posts and new posts does or it could be called "all new posts"
    The buttons on the nav bar can easily be changed, added, deleted, renamed and linked to other things.

Anybody have any suggestions on this...or have it figured out. I know lots of folks on here can and enjoy figuring just about anything out.
    Last edited by peter; 07-22-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Done, Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Ok. I think we will be able to give everybody what they want. Search new posts with or without off topics posts displsying.

I'll probably use the button that includes off topics, why, i dont know. Guess I like to see what is going on.