Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Chesapeake bay,virgina

Leaving friday for c/bay,virgina for short vacation. Anybody ever fished there and if so i would love any info about type of tackle,lures and any other info that would be helpful. Thanx jc

Post Thanks / Like

Chesapeake Bay

Hey, I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, and fished there all my life. The best advice I can give you is go to the mouth of the Potomac river with a couple of pallets of fresh ground chum, menhadden, and get them to cut the backs out for you, anchor, start a chum line, put a back on a circle hook, let it drift out in the chum line and hang on, once the strippers start hitting it will last a while. This time of year you don't catch real big ones, but you will catch them as long as the tide is moving. It's a blas. Hope this helps. If you don't have a boat, get you a couple of soft crabs, and some blood worms, with a double hook rig and try fishing when the tide is high, and you should be able to catch some spot, and croakers. Good luck, and I hope this helps some.

Post Thanks / Like

Virginia Beach

Go see the lighthouses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    go see the lighthouses.
    thanx,i might have a chance to get out in a boat but not sure and ill check out the lighthouses

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    2 ounce bucktail jig with a 6 inch white grub twister tail. If by boat, focus right off V/B on the Bay bridge and look for times where tide is changing. If by land, then you got to scout out beach areas and or inlet jetties. Personnaly, I hate jettie fishing. Crowded and just to tied down.

Seriously, if its a short vacation and you want to spend more time having fun then working at it, call a local guide. There's a ton of local guides and all got pages. Find one leaving from V/B that agrees to focus on Stripers, and in bay VS ocean fishing.

My end of the bay was from Middle River, Hart Island, down to Inner Harbor, Annapolis/Severn River, Dundalk area. Occasional runs to Elkneck, and have run the C&D. Eastern Bay, Choptank, and Chesapeake Beach were destination on occassion. Yet all in all, fishing in and around bridges when tide changing was always best for me.

Right now, I can taste a Natty Bo and a Maryland Crabcake.........me thinks I have salt water withdraw syndrome.

Have a great trip. Worst case.......think crabs!