Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shakey Head/Barren

Never used shakey head method before.Going to try it next time on barren at night. Whats everyones opion.I havent done a whole lot of bass fishing, trying to learn some good methods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it simple at first, take some worms in a green hue of some kind. I recommend a bait that floats if you are dragging it slowly like a charmers finesse worm or a net baits T-Mac. If you are fishing a little faster then a zoom trick worm. I always dye the tips of the tails in chartreuse. I use spinning gear and I like a stout rod (spinning rod - drop shot models) as I have caught bass up to 8lbs on a shakey head. Drag it slow and the "shakey" comes from the action the worm produces and in most instances you don't have to shake it while retrieving like allot of first timers do. 8-10LB test fluro for me works best the lighter the line the more bites IMHO. and just work it as you would a Texas rig.

Other baits to try on a shakey head if the bite is tough is: Baby rage craw or a zoom lil critter craw, I still dye the tips of the pinchers

Post Thanks / Like
    It's another technique where you'll have to try several things and see what works best for you....I threw it on 7'2M Crucial spinning rod for years, but have came to find out that I have much better luck throwing it on a baitcaster....I use a 7' ML Okuma Concept baitcasting rod and a Curado 50E which is designed for throwing light baits...You'll have to play around with it and see what feels best to you...There are 1000 different ways you can work a shaky head from dragging it, bouncing it, to really hopping it...It's just like all other techinques and there will be times when it will excel above other techniques

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to you both for the replies and the advice!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tore em up a year ago on Reaction Innovation flirt worm 4.5 in watermelon red. This worm is awesome. It has a very thin tail and any slight movement of the rod, the worm jumps.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite shakey head worm is a Roboworm, they even make a green pumpkin with a chartreuse tip, it's called a hot tip. It's my go to when fishing is slow. I also prefer the j-hook type heads over the ewg. They seem to hook more fish imho.