Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Questions about my first tournament !!!!

Thinking about getting my fishing buddy and entering one of the bass tourneys on Wilgreen lake in the next week or so. I'm kinda nervous though never fished a tourney before and have no clue as far as requirements "ie: working live well , weigh in bag , " anything else I will need other than a boat and tackle. Any advice???

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry about it, your never gonna know unless you do it. At my first tournament I had a cooler with a bubbler for a live well and used a 3 gal zip lock bag for weigh In bag , most guys that fish tourneys are pretty cool and after you meet them will point you in the right direction if you still have questions. And I'm still using a cooler with a bubbler in it for a live well ,though it has been modified and now has circulating water and the zip lock was traded in for a BPS weigh in bag that was like 12 bucks on sale ! Good luck and let us know how you do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by king fisher View Post
    Don't worry about it, your never gonna know unless you do it. At my first tournament I had a cooler with a bubbler for a live well and used a 3 gal zip lock bag for weigh In bag , most guys that fish tourneys are pretty cool and after you meet them will point you in the right direction if you still have questions. And I'm still using a cooler with a bubbler in it for a live well ,though it has been modified and now has circulating water and the zip lock was traded in for a BPS weigh in bag that was like 12 bucks on sale ! Good luck and let us know how you do!
    that doesnt sound very good on fish if you catch anything of size...

Post Thanks / Like
    Embrey , I'm not exactly sure what your referring to by saying " that doesnt sound very good on fish if you catch anything of size...". Using a cooler as a livewell? The cooler holds 48 gallons of water, I don't know what a normal livewell holds, it insulated so it keeps the water cool against summer heat, it has an aerator that adds oxegen to the water and a water pump that circulates new water throughout tournament hours, on top of that I always add a little " catch and release " solution to the water. As mentioned in my previous post, most tournament fisherman will point you in the right direction, the modified livewell was added as I talked to other guys , and learned the safety of fish handling. I am always up for any new suggestions too. Though I've only been tournament fishing for one year now, and my biggest bag has only been 12 lbs, I haven't killed any fish yet. But, me like you, the safety and future of bass and bass fishing is always a big concern of mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correction, 52 quarts not 48 gallons of water.