Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cumberland help

Post Thanks / Like

cumberland help

My replacement boat just arrived,havent even wet a line yet this year going to c-land this weekend.Any advice on bass locations,would be a great help since i havent even been out this year. thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious as to what others are doing too. I went 7/15, and couldn't connect with much. I threw everything that I normally do well with, plus anything and everything I could think of. I moved from place to place, with the same results. I picked up one smallmouth on a pea gravel main lake bank on a creature bait t rigged. I don't know if it was just a bad day or if I was just not in the right area doing the right thing. The water seemed low, and really warm. I did notice a lot of small baitfish almost everywhere I went. Last year I did really well on bluff walls and rocky points this time of year with light weight jigs, it just hasn't panned out this year. If you go, Id like to know how you did. Rarely do I go to Cumberland without catching something decent, but I have struggled more than usual this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    This time of year on Cumberland is not good at all. Usually nights, very early mornings are best. Sometimes late evening you can hit a few. Topwater very early, drop spinnerbaits, jigs and plastics at night. If you must fish during the day after 9am, fish deep with jigs and plastics on points that have dramatic drops and shelves.

Good luck, I usually fish the big C heavy in Spring, Fall and Winter and let the Ohio Navy have it in summer....

Post Thanks / Like
    Have not been down there this summer, but in summers past when the night bite toughened up, hair jigs on the lower end produced some quality smallies. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    With a small salty chunk*

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Couldn't tell how bad it was by the smile on stripernuts face this afternoon....lol

Post Thanks / Like
    best advice i can give about Cumberland help is when you go down hwy 90 and you see the sign for dale hollow, go fish that lake because right now c-land ***** and i wouldnt advise anyone to waste time and EXPENSIVE gas on cland

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Couldn't tell how bad it was by the smile on stripernuts face this afternoon....lol
    It helps to live there and fish it 3 or 4 days a week that's for sure.......

Plus Jeff is a good fisherman to that don't hurt, lol...

Post Thanks / Like
    caught 34 bass before 9am this morning, 5 of the LMs were keepers, 2 were over 4 lb each. kept a limit of spots for the grill, 5 of those were over 15 , the 6th was 14.5. my best 5 went around 16lbs.
    right now cumberland isnt so much a "pattern bite" as much as it is a specific location bite.

ive been catching fish on these spots since the lake was lowered, but not everyday. there are 3 things that these locations have; 1. a drop-off into a channel bend2.structure on the hump 3. bait. if the bait aint there the fish aint there.

i noticed someone above said they saw tons of shad, and then i read where they were throwing a "creature bait", match the hatch first, and if that doesnt work, then try something else.

there isnt anything wrong with cumberland, its the same or better than its ever been, but it aint easy, alot of time staring at the graph.

the magic number for bottom depth on 2 different underwater ridges seemed to be 20-21 feet, thats where most of the fish seemed to be holding.

best of luck, may your lines never be broken, and the jet-skis always be broken

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    It helps to live there and fish it 3 or 4 days a week that's for sure.......

Plus Jeff is a good fisherman to that don't hurt, lol...

haha , mark i would hate to calculate my "fish-per-gallon" catch ratio.....hurricane bobs "enjoyment -per-gallon" theory might look pretty good ! his gallons are consumed on the porch looking at the lake my gallons are consumed looking at fish that wont bite

Post Thanks / Like
    Fish early, fish late, but if you are on the the lake mid day put it a shore and take a break. With all this record breaking heat, thinking I will start checking out the night bite; dragging, hoping ,and pulling the the jigs for small mouth...

I'm not retired, fishing is a full time job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    haha , mark i would hate to calculate my "fish-per-gallon" catch ratio.....hurricane bobs "enjoyment -per-gallon" theory might look pretty good ! his gallons are consumed on the porch looking at the lake my gallons are consumed looking at fish that wont bite
    I know the lake pretty good Jeff, you know the lake REAL GOOD......
    You, Bob and I need to sit on his porch and drink some fire water some day and talk about the world's problems, Hell we might even solve a few....